Austin, TX

Howdy everyone, I've been lurking in the shadows for a while, but I return with something nifty.

I've familiarized myself with Eagle CAD for work, and have spent a while working on an internal ArduinoBoy kit. It's designed to fit in DMGs and SGBs. On-board flashing to the standalone ATmega328p. 1/8" Stereo Jacks for MIDI In and Out/Thru, along with a ProSound headphone jack. Final design will include an optional USB for MIDI.

Test batch pics

Update 2/23/17 -
Sample PCBs of the new revision have arrived. I worked on this new rev for months and made quite a few changes. I completely started from scratch on the PCB layout for each of the 3 PCBs, rerouted everything, changed parts, and added a couple of new fancy thangs. I modified the ArduinoBoy code to replace the 5 mode LEDs with a single RGB NeoPixel that only requires one data line (along with +5V & GND of course), cutting down the number of wire connections needed between pcbs.
I also added Variable Clock, because, why the fuck not?

Successfully burned the Arduino bootloader to the ATmega328 and uploaded the sketch in-circuit through the programming pins (easy to make programming adapter, allowing people to fuck with the code if they want! You do You!) into a DMG today and will be testing in the coming days.

Last edited by Boddah (Feb 24, 2017 5:12 am)

Unsubscribe

killer!

Very neatly done.

Ardèche, France

That's fat. Uh, I mean, that's small. Anyway, impressive work!

sweden

Woho!!!

France

wow, I'm sure you'll sell millions of those!

Glasgow, Scotland.

Looks awesome. Whereabouts in the DMG is it designed to fit?

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:04 am)

Utah

Very nice

Michigan

Will you include some paper overlays that show the DIY'ers where to drill?

Austin, TX
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

Looks awesome. Whereabouts in the DMG is it designed to fit?

The LED board goes up top above the LCD and the ATmega board goes in the open space on the side of the battery compartment beneath the speaker.

Apeshit wrote:

Cool! Is one of the boards a headphone filter replacement board?

Will the final ones have a ground plane?

You are correct, the 3rd headphone jack has smt caps and resistors (along with it being a switching jack) so that it can be a filtered ProSound output. And the final design will have ground planes on each of the boards for increased interference reduction.

NUMBSKULL

Looks great!

Austin, TX
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Will you include some paper overlays that show the DIY'ers where to drill?

The final kit will include drill guides, wiring diagrams, and installation instructions for both DMG and SGB. I will also provide instructions for programming the ATmega so the AB code can be updated/customized if needed.

BK

This is awesome. It would be really cool to see if with some people who make custom game boy case molds could make molds with pre-cut spots for those jacks... might be cool to sell them alongside these boards smile

Naptown

this is way cool!! can't wait big_smile

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:04 am)