why isn't there a tracker on megadrive. it has the best fm synth out there so why ?

Florida

I believe the DefleMask is the thing you seek. I've never used it, because I don't have a flash cart for my Genesis. However, I haven't heard bad things about it.

Last edited by Sonus Silver (Aug 31, 2016 8:15 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

I have, but they were from six versions ago and I kept using it anyway.

Atlanta, GA

There is/was ymdj/chaos tracker, but it's in development limbo.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/15355/chaos-tracker/

NoyzBotChip wrote:

There is/was ymdj/chaos tracker, but it's in development limbo.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/15355/chaos-tracker/

Last news 6 months+ ...lol big_smile

brooklyn, NY

you may be interested in this:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/17710 … r-arduino/

not a genesis tracker, but little DIY synth that uses basically the same chip.   I just put up a one-sided DIY layout for home builders and user, Masl, made a really great java controller.      8 channels or 8 note poly.    Can play any .opm from any genesis / classic arcade game.

Last edited by Charbot (Sep 9, 2016 2:03 pm)

Charbot wrote:

you may be interested in this:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/17710 … r-arduino/

not a genesis tracker, but little DIY synth that uses basically the same chip.   I just put up a one-sided DIY layout for home builders and user, Masl, made a really great java controller.      8 channels or 8 note poly.    Can play any .opm from any genesis / classic arcade game.

I was deliberating whether or not to reply to this comment. However, I feel it is slightly misleading.

The Sega Genesis chip FM chip is the YM2612. It is only 6 channels of polyphony, and has different features than the YM2151 arcade chip (a.k.a. OPM).

The Genesis chip has the feature of SSG-EG, which modulates the envelope of each operator individual in very specific ways. It also has channel 3 multi-frequency mode, and CSM (complex sinuisoidal modulation) synthesis as another channel 3 ONLY feature).

Channel 6 can act as a PCM sample player as well. YM2151 does not have a built in sample player. Those old arcade games often had a separate PCM chip that could produce 5 or more samples simultaneously. (I remember hearing 16 at the highest). This is nice, but it is NOT a feature on the YM2151 chip itself.

The operator arrangement is inverted in some of the algorithms, which would mean that a .opm file might sound different on a Sega Genesis depending upon how the preset is designed.

The YM2151, however, has it's own PMS LFO generator, noise generator, and a second detuner for each operator.

There are some important differences between these 2 chips to consider.

So with the DIY project, it MIGHT be possible to use a Genesis chip, but you will be restricted to only 6 channels of polyphony instead of 8.

Alrighty.....

Now Deflemask is the best PC tracker option. It can be used without ever owning a Sega Genesis. You don't need a flash cart or anything. Just a PC. Although, if you want authentic hardware sound, then by all means, by a real Sega and flash cart.

Chaos Tracker, as previously mentioned, will be the ONLY Sega Genesis tracker available... if it is ever completed. tongue

East Coast USA

The thing is about the Genesis is that it uses pretty much the same sound chip as the DX7, so if you want to make some MD music just load up a copy of Dexed in FL Studio and you'll be golden

Dolby-Z wrote:

The thing is about the Genesis is that it uses pretty much the same sound chip as the DX7, so if you want to make some MD music just load up a copy of Dexed in FL Studio and you'll be golden

This is not accurate. Sega Genesis chip (YM2612) had polyphony of 6, used only 4 operators, and had 8 algorithm configurations.

Yamaha DX7 (YM2128) had polyphony of 16 channels, and used 6 operators, and had 32 algorithm configurations.

You can achieve Genesis sounds on DX7, but it is light years more advanced than the Genesis sound chip.

Plus, the DX7 chip doesn't have the SSG-EG control, and has a more complex preset configuration table. So, though possible, it would be more time consuming to use it for Genesis sound production.

A better recommendation for DAW emulation would be FM Drive from Aly James. It emulates the Genesis sound chip to near perfection. Even the original chip 9-bit register distortion, and CSM mode which DX7 also did not have: http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html

But yeah, Genesis chip and DX7 are two very different animals!

France

You're right marcb0t, but I think the Genesis sound is mostly praised for its FM chip. The PSG part (square wave sounds), SN76489, is cool too and I like it much, but it was probably originally added for a compatibility with the Sega Master System.
The YM2151 is not the same chip, but it bears much similarities. You can use the logic used in the creation of a YM2612 instrument to recreate it quite accurately on the 2151 (and also on other yamaha FM chips). I'm working on a simple converter (a spreadsheet) for converting between several sound definitions. You can also convert the instruments with Deflemask (load one format and change the system).

The YM2151 arduino shield is very fun to use, even if different to use than a tracker.

Now back on the subject, I'd also recommend to use DefleMask, it's perfect for Megadrive music! (and it's cool you can export it to a megadrive binary you can use on real hardware)

Adelaide, Australia

Forget VSTis, if you really want to create FM music for the YM2612, I would also highly recommend using Deflemask tracker. There are a growing number of options for playback (and performance) on the real hardware, too, such as the upcoming VGX Live software created by my friend xspheric and I. See thread here. We're releasing that really soon! :]

garvalf wrote:

The YM2151 is not the same chip, but it bears much similarities. You can use the logic used in the creation of a YM2612 instrument to recreate it quite accurately on the 2151 (and also on other yamaha FM chips).

Yes, I realize that. But someone was suggesting using a DX 7 VSTi, which is waaay different from both YM2151 or YM2612. You're better off using VOPM, if you want to recreate sounds similar to Genesis sounds with a VSTi.

But yes, in the end, Deflemask is the superior PC choice for authentic Genesis music making, for right now. Mainly because of its balance of efficiency and accuracy. And the fact that you can port it to a hardware playable format.

Although, I believe that FM Drive has the most accurate emulation of the sound timbre and distortion.

Solar System

There is VGM music maker (FM+PSG+PCM), there is Deflemask (FM+PSG+PCM), there is TFM MM (FM)...
You export VGM and there is VGMplayer on native MD/Genny. So you can play music on actual HW.
And it is more easy to make music on PC / MAC laptop and replay it on Sega.

Dolby-Z wrote:

Using Dexed (https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/) to generate some FM sounds is a brilliant idea. There is just two facts you forgot to mention in this comparison:

1.    DAC (the actual devices are much more noisy compared to a PC emulation (VSTI), some love it, some hate it)
2.    Genesis use 4-OP and DX7/Dexed use 6-op to make the algo.