New York, New York

i've got a number of effects pedals. i am using them as a chain in producing game boy that has sound design that i hear on a game boy produced on daw but i have no experience with the default effects of any daw. which are better eq, compressor, and reverb to get for the chain? i wrote and produced game boy on daw but the game boy was produced with techniques i can't get explained to me better so i can get effect pedals for a chain that would sound like it. i have three game boy productions for you to hear, centurywaste is one. evertontransfer and eremiticwaterfall are others. my production is in daw with a bandmate with no hardware experience so explaining this is not going to get clearer. i just want to understand the better eq, compressor, and reverb for this sound in effect pedals.

https://soundcloud.com/stockfleckigkunst/centurywaste

Glasgow, Scotland.

I use effects pedals a lot, but I am seriously struggling to understand what you're asking, sorry hmm

Are you looking for suggestions for the best effects to use on particular tracks/parts?

You don't need to have any detailed hardware experience, just try to explain a bit clearer so we can help with what you want to achieve.

IL, US

yeah, he's looking for best options for running a game boy through for live purposes.. i answered on facebook and told him that he'd likely be best off just running in through a laptop with ableton so he could use the exact same vsts and settings used in the recordings since most compact guitar pedals aren't ideal for his purposes since most of the cheaper and smaller ones tend to add noise to the signal... if he is 100% against using a laptop, i was going to recommend instead getting a 4U rack case and getting a decent alesis compressor or an rnc1773, a dual 15 band eq and either a rackmount reverb unit or a holy grail (though obviously this kills any portability and would run maybe $600-800 total)

Glasgow, Scotland.
e.s.c. wrote:

yeah, he's looking for best options for running a game boy through for live purposes.. i answered on facebook and told him that he'd likely be best off just running in through a laptop with ableton so he could use the exact same vsts and settings used in the recordings since most compact guitar pedals aren't ideal for his purposes since most of the cheaper and smaller ones tend to add noise to the signal... if he is 100% against using a laptop, i was going to recommend instead getting a 4U rack case and getting a decent alesis compressor or an rnc1773, a dual 15 band eq and either a rackmount reverb unit or a holy grail (though obviously this kills any portability and would run maybe $600-800 total)

Word, especially as most guitar pedals are mono, so you'd lose all of the stereo effects.

Unsubscribe

the line6 m5 is a great pedal for lsdj, lots of stereo effects, and every one of them also comes with a noise gate.

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

the line6 m5 is a great pedal for lsdj, lots of stereo effects, and every one of them also comes with a noise gate.

hadn't seen this before, looks pretty good.. out of curiosity, what's the max delay time on it?

Brunswick, GA USA

There's no such thing as "better," the effects are sound colors. It's just a matter of what you think will work for you.

EQ is good for "rolling off" or emphasizing frequency bands. You can use that to make a channel sound more or less noisy, clicky, thumpy, or otherwise to get sounds out of each others' ways.

Compressor is for flattening the loud/soft dynamics of a signal, and can be used to either emphasize or take the bite off of clicks.

Reverb is for making a signal sound like it was made within a space before it comes out the speaker.

Overdrive/distortion/fuzz are for intentional clipping. The three words describe how extreme the clipping is, but they all mainly do it the same way, by boosting a signal and shorting part of it to ground with a diode or 2 or 6.

Delay is for repeating the signal, and can be used to make chords out of single notes, among other things.

Phase/chorus/flanger are effects that are also based on very short delay timing, with a little bit of pitch shift too.

In case you are asking what order to put the pedals in, there are no rules for that either, though I've heard this suggested:

Gate> EQ> Compressor> Clippers from weak to strong> Modulators> Delay> Reverb

More stuff in the chain means weaker signal strength and more noise.

I hope that was useful.

Last edited by chunter (Nov 19, 2016 10:58 am)

Geneva, NY

I have the model down from this:
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar … -bluetooth

And I love it. It's not noisy at all, pretty easy to use and you can very easily line up up to 6 FX, each of which you can switch between and tweak on the fly.

New York, New York
BLEO wrote:

I have the model down from this:
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar … -bluetooth

And I love it. It's not noisy at all, pretty easy to use and you can very easily line up up to 6 FX, each of which you can switch between and tweak on the fly.

is it this one, because its presets seem to be made for synthesizer. https://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2013/12 … or-synths/

IL, US

think he just means the one that's the exact same, just no bluetooth (because honestly who needs bluetooth in a pedal).. i think syphus might have it too, i'd forgotten about it but have heard only good things

Unsubscribe
e.s.c. wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

hadn't seen this before, looks pretty good.. out of curiosity, what's the max delay time on it?

2000ms