Unsubscribe

Do you need to change the global configs to that lower sample rate to enjoy it? Id rather not mess with a working piggy install.

Sweden/UK

@rumpelfilter It's definitely a interesting idea. Will try to have a look at that soon. smile Cheers

@herr_prof It's my recommendation to run it at 22050Hz but you could always try it I guess. There is a bigger risk of underruns at 44100 Hz, and with polyphony. Mono and arpeggio should be pretty safe I think without getting clicks.

Cheers

ERik

Unsubscribe

Is there a possibility to not make it a global change? Some sorta of script to set the sample rate at run versus at boot?

Earth

Mmm now there's a thought. Make a bash script, and launch from that.

Earth

Ok, I might be trippin, but try putting this   in the .asoundrc file.

pcm.phase {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
       rate 22050
}

I may be totally off base but the rate property may work there. Worth a shot...

Edit:  oh, I think his website may address this. try downloading this file to the directory you put Phase: http://humbletune.com/phase/chip/settings.json

It appears you can also make the buffer larger in that file. you could try setting it to 1024, and leave sample rate at 44100.

Last edited by breakphase (Dec 8, 2016 9:27 pm)

Sweden/UK

@herr_prof The solution I provide at the website is global and require a reboot unfortunately, at least of the synth. I am really no expert at configuring the .asoundrc but yeah @breakphase method might work, it might also need some kind of converter node in there, not sure.

Sorry I am not much more help here.. I will let you guys know if I figure out a better method.

Cheers

ERik

Unsubscribe

Thanks Ill keep an eye out!

france

@humbletune, I don't inow if it is possible with the sound backend you are using, but with alsa, sdl and RTAudio you can choose the frequency of the app when you initialize it. It may be easier for people to have a binary which switch to the right backend at start.
In my code picoloop i do it here : https://github.com/yoyz/audio/blob/mast … TAudio.cpp openAudio method.
But the chip audio driver is maybe unable to provide different frequency, I don't own one.

Sweden/UK

@yoyz2k Cheers, phase is using alsa. It doesn't have a hard coded sample rate but if you want to change it, it will require a reboot. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds though to do (esc, ok, arrow down, enter). On the Pi it seems like you can pick pretty much any sample rate you want, on the chip however my experience was that the one you want need to match the .asoundrc. I haven't found a method either for reading the current hardware sample rate, which would be the nicest solution. Now I have to ask for a sample rate and I might get it or I might not.

My recommendation is still using 22050 Hz though for the best experience. smile It is has enough bandwidth to produce good notes and it is fast enough for the chip to process.

Also on the chip you need to modify the .asoundrc to add a phase plugin because the os has a hold on the default sound hw:0,0 all the time.

Cheers

ERik