Hello, my name is Nii and I'm new to the forums, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I've recently decided to try to make some chiptune tracks. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to go about it and I was wondering if anyone couple point me to the right direction on how to achieve this goal.
I would really love to utilize a guitar hero guitar, a gameboy DMG and a Launchpad in my set up just for the simple reasoning "because it's cool" ^^
Other than that I am completely lost on how to go about it, I don't know what software I should be using (I was along the lines of Ableton for a bit but I am unsure of that..)
If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it!!

Just get LSDj and a gameboy. After you make the music, you'll find ways to introduce additional gear to your set up.  I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but if you worry too much about your gear at this point, you'll get nowhere. Some of the best chiptune artists out there tend to be the ones that just slap a nuby light on an unmodified gameboy.

If anything, get an arduinoboy, as it will actually be instrumental to producing better music. You can easily integrate a guitar hero controller, or what have you with it later on if you don't find it to be impractical having an oversized controller with just a few momentary switches.

Alrighty, thank you man!
Gonna look into them now.

Italy

Second what Apeshit just said. I'm not a big expert when it comes to chiptune, but then, it's a bit the same with every instrument/type of music. Start small, focus on one thing and then expand as the need arises. The difficult thing is of course being able to distinguish between things you need and things that look like you need...
The most crucial thing is probably figuring out which tracker is best suited for you. The instrument really is made up by the hardware+software combo. You haven't got too many choices, but still enough. LSDJ, Nanoloop are the most obvious solutions here, but you might want to look at other things as well. The fact that many people base their work with DMGs on playing pre-composed sequences doesn't mean you have to do the same. Get an EMS cart of something similar and play around with things like Chord (humbletune) or mgb, there's a thread with al list of available applications for the Game Boy, check that out as well. Take a bit of time to experiment, but then try to restrict yourself just to a couple of things, or you might end up endlessly bouncing around between applications and never get anything done.

france

IMHO, try 2 or 3 apps.
Lsdj work for some people, nanoloop 1.x, 2.x for some other, lgpt for another.
But check 2 or 3 apps you like.
Then select one and work with it smile
have fun

Glasgow, Scotland.
Nii wrote:

I would really love to utilize a guitar hero guitar, a gameboy DMG and a Launchpad in my set up just for the simple reasoning "because it's cool" ^^
Other than that I am completely lost on how to go about it, I don't know what software I should be using (I was along the lines of Ableton for a bit but I am unsure of that..)
If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it!!

I second what's been said above, but you could always get a DMG, Arduinoboy, and put MGB on a cartridge. That way you could control the Game Boy's sound over MIDI using the Launchpad. That'd be the most straightforward way to jump in without learning the ins and outs.

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm)