I've been working on overhauling some of the existing documents out there in a way that makes more sense to me.

There's currently 3 sheets:
the first contains tick counts for every Speed/Length combination (assuming 6 ticks per step) and highlights which of these correlate to whole, half, quarter, eighth and sixteenth notes. Also contains which frames are included with each length (thanks danimal cannon!)

the second is a list of scales... someone else had started one but it didn't include what steps in hex the correlated to. I'm still adding more scales to this.

third is a list of quick reference of chords in major and minor for arpeggio help

I have more to add to this, including which divisions result in which intervals for ghost channel. This is mostly for personal reference and to make music theory concepts translate into hex easier.

Here's the link, let me know what you think.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

edit:
so on the first tab, the numbers in columns labeled Speed=1, Speed=2, etc. are referring to the number of ticks per frame, correct? those don't change even if you use a different groove, do they? this is great info though thanks!

toasterpastries wrote:

Also contains which frames are included with each length (thanks danimal cannon!)

oh wow yeah thanks!!! might have to suggest adding this to the LSDJ manual...

Last edited by urbster1 (December 14, 2016 1:44 pm)

urbster1 wrote:

edit:
so on the first tab, the numbers in columns labeled Speed=1, Speed=2, etc. are referring to the number of ticks per frame, correct? those don't change even if you use a different groove, do they? this is great info though thanks!

Yes.. I'm not totally sure if having those values in hex is relevant to anything, so the number of ticks (in parenthesis) is the important part.
I'm assuming that if you use a swing, this will still work the same way, but if you use a different groove entirely (3/3, 4/4), these values will be different. However, I think the settings that result in an interval such as 1/2 or 1/4 note will be in the same places.

The descriptions for the Speed and Length settings are very vague in the LSDj manual. They should be edited to specify that Speed = # of ticks per frame and Length excludes frames inside of total playback.

toasterpastries wrote:

I'm assuming that if you use a swing, this will still work the same way, but if you use a different groove entirely (3/3, 4/4), these values will be different

but when you say "these values" you are referring specifically to the 8th note, 16th note, etc values right? the number of ticks themselves are not the values that change are they? example: at length 2, speed 1, if you are using 3/3 groove, those are still using 3 ticks per frame, thus they are now 16th notes, if i understand correctly. (the note values i'm sure are important for some, for me as long as the tick values are correct that is what's most important)

toasterpastries wrote:

The descriptions for the Speed and Length settings are very vague in the LSDj manual. They should be edited to specify that Speed = # of ticks per frame and Length excludes frames inside of total playback.

right i remember asking Johan about that and he gave a vague response. but since these are now known, i think it would be worth updating the manual (which is now open source), not to add every value, just what you stated here

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

I was experimenting more yesterday and found out that the loop points are correct for Once and Loop modes, but don't behave as expected for Ping-Pong mode.
I was assuming that Ping-Pong would be twice the length, but it's not.

This is because the lengths result in a different number of frames in Ping-Pong...
Ex. Length=3 includes 0,5,A,F.... 4 frames
But Ping-Pong plays 0,5,A,F,A,5,.... 6 frames
Length=4 plays 0,3,7,B,F,B,7,3.....8 frames

So if you want Ping-Pong to play twice as long as it would with Loop, add one to Length.