Glasgow, Scotland.

Got a heads up today about a one off analog sync box created for the DMG, by digdugDIY, who makes some awesome custom effects pedals and the like. It lets you sync up the Game Boy with a Volca or PO or Eurorack without the need to go via MIDI and an Arduinoboy. Pretty smart.

http://digdugdiy.com/etsy/?etsypro_product_id=499958767

I wasn't going to get it as I just got a MIDI Bastl box to go the opposite direction, but ended up giving in. Thought I'd give people a heads up, as digdug might be up for making more if there was interest!

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Dec 20, 2016 12:34 am)

Tacoma WA

tempting.  sync nanoloop and the modular

Melbourne, Australia

Op1 sync, yes!

Glasgow, Scotland.
infradead wrote:

tempting.  sync nanoloop and the modular

Yeah, that's my plan. I can synch both if I use the Game Boy as the master clock, but often I write something and then want to synch up the Game Boy with the modular as master, so this should help with that.

Berkeley, CA

I would love to buy a couple of them!

NUMBSKULL

I'll have some cheaper options soon. They won't be as pretty as this one though!

Unsubscribe

yup want one.

san diego

You can also use a intellijel multi hub and make a diy sync cable. Just hack a DMG 04 cable
Attach a 3.5mm jack on the other end.

Plug the 3.5 into one of the intellijel hubs input and you have 3 outs from the hub to clock the modular

Glasgow, Scotland.
tenshun wrote:

You can also use a intellijel multi hub and make a diy sync cable. Just hack a DMG 04 cable

Plug the 3.5 into one of the intellijel hubs input and you have 3 outs from the hub to clock the modular

Ohhh I presume this would work in the reverse too? I'll need to dig out a schematic (well, wiring diagram for the cable) and have a bash at my own.

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Dec 22, 2016 12:25 am)

san diego
unexpectedbowtie wrote:
tenshun wrote:

Ohhh I presume this would work in the reverse too? I'll need to dig out a schematic (well, wiring diagram for the cable) and have a bash at my own.

To have the modular clock the DMG you have to make a separate cable.

So what i did was i cut the DMG 04 cable in half and made one cable for using the gameboy as the master clock and the other half of the cable for having the modular clock the gameboy.

The schematic to make the cable is in the Lsdj manual and its easy to make if your handy with the soldering iron!

Glasgow, Scotland.
tenshun wrote:

The schematic to make the cable is in the Lsdj manual and its easy to make if your handy with the soldering iron!

I'll give it a bash!

One question... If you cut the link cable in half, how did you know what wires corresponded to what pin without cutting it open at the connector side? That's always what's confused me...

unexpectedbowtie wrote:

One question... If you cut the link cable in half, how did you know what wires corresponded to what pin without cutting it open at the connector side?

Buzz it out with a multimeter.

Glasgow, Scotland.
Knife Crimes wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

One question... If you cut the link cable in half, how did you know what wires corresponded to what pin without cutting it open at the connector side?

Buzz it out with a multimeter.

ohhh good shout, thanks!

Glasgow, Scotland.

I asked digdug about this, and apparently the sync will work both ways, which is interesting. I'll check when mine arrives and confirm this.

He's also going to be making some more in the future, so worth keeping an eye on the Etsy page smile

Glasgow, Scotland.

Well, I'm not sure how he did it, but the box works box for sync out and sync in... without a switch. Tempted to open it up and check out the wiring.

I put together a simple patch to show the DMG being clocked from my modular:

san diego

Thats cool! If you do open up that box please take a picture of the inside!