London, UK

Hi,

I've got a faulty DMG that has some white marks inside the screen protector. I thought they'd just be on the screen protector's inside/outside, but found that it's some kind of dust/mark that's on the actual dot matrix display inside the case.

Is it safe to clean the inside screen with isopropyl alcohol, or will it damage it?

Everywhere I look people just talk about cleaning/replacing screen protectors, but it seems few have felt the need to clean the screen itself!

Thanks!

I use tacky plastic stuff to clean debris from LCDs. It's similar material to what you'd remove from a screen cover.

When the adhesive dries up on screen covers, it tends to leave dried glue particles on the LCD. Just try wiping it off, there's no reason to start with rubbing alcohol, it probably won't damage the screen but it will leave residue.

London, UK

Tacky plastic stuff, like Blu-Tack or Pritt-Tack?

And I thought that alcohol would completely evaporate?

Psynaptik wrote:

Tacky plastic stuff, like Blu-Tack or Pritt-Tack?

And I thought that alcohol would completely evaporate?

No, it's more like packing tape, but it doesn't leave any residue. It's designed for cleaning LCDs. The plastic film from backlights or screen covers will work similarly.

In theory is should completely evaporate, but it often leaves residue. It's just not the right solution for cleaning dry debris from an LCD.

London, UK

Alas I tried something like you suggested, blu-tak, rubbing alcohol, it all didn't work.

So for some reason I thought acetone was a good shout.

Oh dear.

Totally FUBARed the screen I think.

Also, didn't know it would dissolve the case, so part of it looks a little shiny from when I was trying to get the glue that held the screen protector off.

Sad face.

To be fair it was a difficult mark, but I could have tried household cleaner instead!

Lesson learned... :-(

London, UK

NEVER EVER LET ACETONE ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BELOVED GAMEBOY!

Last edited by Psynaptik (Jan 8, 2017 9:57 pm)

London, UK

...actually, LCD still works. Just very smudgy on the front screen.

Might be okay?

acetone...

well, i tried.

London, UK

You did, and I am very grateful. It didn't work, and hen I found out that acetone was the most stupid thing I could do. Ce la vie.

By the way, it wasn't dust is was some sticky greasy mark. I'm not sure what else I. Could use on the LCD screen itself. What would I do next time?

Thanks for your help anyway!

Last edited by Psynaptik (Jan 8, 2017 10:52 pm)

Sticky greasy mark... I'd have to see it. Can't imagine what that would be. You should always start with the least destructive solutions and work your way up. As a rule of thumb, acetone has no place anywhere near a Gameboy. Case in point:

snuggled in bed wit stuffies

apeshit i tried to use acetone like u said............my gameboy is FUXKED UP now............im, so upset now i dont know what im, going to do when i play my show i dont have enuff money for another whole GAME BOY........

NullSlept wrote:

apeshit i tried to use acetone like u said............my gameboy is FUXKED UP now............im, so upset now i dont know what im, going to do when i play my show i dont have enuff money for another whole GAME BOY........

Are you sure it was 100% acetone and didn't contain any harmful solvents, such as water?

snuggled in bed wit stuffies

apeshift i bet your the kind of jerk who tells ppl to delete system42 on the're computer

London, UK
Apeshit wrote:
NullSlept wrote:

Are you sure it was 100% acetone and didn't contain any harmful solvents, such as water?

Lol.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I feel stupid!

But hey - for the price of 3 beers I learned something and I now have a spare DMG to practice mods on before doing it on a decent case...silver linings and all that...

London, UK
Apeshit wrote:

Sticky greasy mark... I'd have to see it. Can't imagine what that would be. You should always start with the least destructive solutions and work your way up. As a rule of thumb, acetone has no place anywhere near a Gameboy. Case in point:

Seen that pic before. Was that you sometime or someone else?

not mine, but i use it a lot because a surprising amount of people try to clean their gameboys with acetone.