[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:02 pm)

Unsubscribe

To me, fakebit is making chiptune but with vsts. Post chip is making OTHER GENRE MUSIC with chip references.

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:

To me, fakebit is making chiptune but with vsts. Post chip is making OTHER GENRE MUSIC with chip references.

Exactly. Tools/techniques from chip to make music that is not chiptune. That's what I've strived for anyways.

Considering the rest of the post- genres and what they do (post-rock turning more ambient and experimental, post-punk turning more worldly and theory-minded, etc), post-chip would have to define a tendency on the chip scene and break from it... except, which would this convention be?

This is why I oppose the notion of chip as a genre, because the only characteristic you need to be "chip" is to, well, either use chips, emulate chips, or work with near-chip limitations. And while doing so, you can write house, rock, salsa, tarantella, zydeco, whatever.

So no. I posit that "post-chip" can't be a thing because chip ain't a fucking genre. Unless you decide to do a lot of chip compositions based on the genre stylings of any post- genre and call it post-chip... though I'd say it'd be more accurate to call it chip-post.

God, this is so inane. Look what you make me do. This is embarrassing.

Why not ditch post-chip and make post-munk instead. Vaporwave with vocals pitched up instead of down.

Naptown

how about post-monk, pitched-up gregorian chant with thelonious-inspired rhythmic displacement using tritones and "wrong" notes

IL, US
El Huesudo II wrote:

Considering the rest of the post- genres and what they do (post-rock turning more ambient and experimental, post-punk turning more worldly and theory-minded, etc), post-chip would have to define a tendency on the chip scene and break from it... except, which would this convention be?

This is why I oppose the notion of chip as a genre, because the only characteristic you need to be "chip" is to, well, either use chips, emulate chips, or work with near-chip limitations. And while doing so, you can write house, rock, salsa, tarantella, zydeco, whatever.

So no. I posit that "post-chip" can't be a thing because chip ain't a fucking genre. Unless you decide to do a lot of chip compositions based on the genre stylings of any post- genre and call it post-chip... though I'd say it'd be more accurate to call it chip-post.

i think there is and has been post-chip for a very long time.. i'd consider breakcore to sort of be post-chip in a way since the whole genre got it's start almost entirely from artists using trackers (in many cases on amiga) and the stylistic choices they made based on the limitations of those trackers persist 20+ years later, even among artists who've never touched a tracker in their lives.. so in that sense, it was influenced by chip music heavily, but clearly has become it's own thing

Brunswick, GA USA

To me,  breakcore happened alongside chipmusic and of course, the styles aware of each other the whole time. It's harder to make a genealogy of music now that the Internet gives us access to everything anytime we want. I've noticed that reduced voicings tend to go well with loudness trends, so we might also be witnessing the same answer to different problems.

I remember showing ilkae a song where I'd used synths for everything, but used noise blips for drums. He asked why I didn't use normal drum samples instead. The reason was that those particular samples sounded refreshing to me, but it made me wonder if I'd already crossed a line and that maybe I should consider things from that point on to be something else.

Then there are... other occurrences.

On a more serious note,  what date was the previous existential crisis thread?

Last edited by chunter (Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm)

San Diego, CA
El Huesudo II wrote:

chiptune doesn't have to be a genre for something to be post-chiptune

I'm entertaining the notion that everyone who thought that chiptune was EVER a hardware-based aesthetic was completely wrong

or at least that the hardware meant anything other than "video games"

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Feb 13, 2017 9:01 pm)

spacetownsavior wrote:

I'm entertaining the notion that everyone who thought that chiptune was EVER a hardware-based aesthetic was completely wrong

or at least that the hardware meant anything other than "video games"

Oh no, no, nooooo

please let's not make this a fakebit thing

(though if we could exchange fakebit by post-chip I'm all for the tag rename)

IL, US

that's probably not what they're getting at, more likely the fact that, from the start) music made with very short samples in trackers has been a large part of chipmusic, despite not using anything we think of as a soundchip in the sense that a game boy or NES has, with it's own synthesizer properties

Florida
El Huesudo II wrote:

Chiptune isn't a genre, it's a philosophy. Post-chip can definitely be a thing because it pulls from the ideas and aesthetics of chipmusic but not always it's process. Music with a limited chip-esque sound pallet made with modern hardware sounds pretty post-chip to me  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ohio gozaimasu

Only vaguely related but how come every single time we have some nelly coming in here asking questions someone feels the need to update the banner blurb to make fun of him

Mt. Sustenance, Meat Planet
Cooshinator wrote:

Only vaguely related but how come every single time we have some nelly coming in here asking questions someone feels the need to update the banner blurb to make fun of him

I honestly don't mind. It's kind of funny, and at least some kind of genuine discussion seemed to have come out of this thread.

Brunswick, GA USA
Cooshinator wrote:

It's got nothing on http://reddit.com/r/japancirclejerk

California
Cooshinator wrote:

Seems more teasing than ridiculing to me. also I like when the blurb is regularly updated bc it's usually funny and lets me know if there's any good stuff going on in topics that I haven't been following until then