So this is a weird question sort of.
I recently picked up a few Gameboys to backlight.  After prepping them and installing the backlight units, I was sorely disappointed to find that there are scratches directly on the LCD that I didn't notice until light was shining through them.  Now I'm stuck with two Gameboys that can't pass for nice backlit models or as stock/run-of-the-mill Gameboys.

I work at a retro game store that can sell Gameboys that are in less than perfect cosmetic condition.  I'd like to try and make some of my money back by going through the store and swapping my current GBs out for units that are in better shape.  For them to be passable units, though, I'd need to have the LCDs still viewable.  Without that reflective backing that originally comes on the DMG, though, I'm currently screwed out of luck.

Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to that reflective backing?

oklahoma

Hit up bennvenn for the backlit front pcb thing he has. Check his shop page. Shower him with money and praises.  But don't bother him too much, he is doing important work that benefits us all.

oscillating wrote:

Hit up bennvenn for the backlit front pcb thing he has. Check his shop page. Shower him with money and praises.  But don't bother him too much, he is doing important work that benefits us all.

I'm actually looking for a way to just revert these GBs back to something akin to a stock unit--something that requires minimal effort and doesn't add any additional hardware like backlights.  So, for all intents and purposes, I want to just turn them back into regular old Gameboys.

MASSACHUSETTS

If the cases are yellowed you can try treating them with hydrogen peroxide stuff. You can google the process. Basically just clean the cases with rubbing alcohol and then brush them with the stuff, cover them in cling wrap and place them in the sun, rotating every half hour or so.

Last edited by bonham (Feb 25, 2017 9:29 pm)

brooklyn, NY

if the scratches arent deep, perhaps they can be buffed out.    Try to find  some kind of glass polishing product ( maybe at an auto store, for windshields ), a soft cloth and some patience.

oklahoma

Sounds like you're in experimental territory here. Since the backing is just a thin sheet of reflective material glued to the screen, what about a thin piece of glass mirror in place of the backlight? Maybe u could find a reflective plastic membrane and glue it on like tinting a car window. They have it all over the walls in these colorado flower stores for growing flowers.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I may try a hybrid of some of these ideas.
If I come with anything that works, I'll share my findings.

Melbourne
oscillating wrote:

Sounds like you're in experimental territory here. Since the backing is just a thin sheet of reflective material glued to the screen, what about a thin piece of glass mirror in place of the backlight? Maybe u could find a reflective plastic membrane and glue it on like tinting a car window. They have it all over the walls in these colorado flower stores for growing flowers.

This is an interesting idea.. if you use something super reflective (ie. moreso than the film from a stock gameboy) would it mean you could see your reflection in it?!

Sweeeeeeden
pselodux wrote:

This is an interesting idea.. if you use something super reflective (ie. moreso than the film from a stock gameboy) would it mean you could see your reflection in it?!

You already can, even if faintly. If you hold your finger to a stock DMG screen and look closely, you'll see two reflections, just like on a regular mirror btw. One from the front of the glass, and a fainter one that is slightly offset, from the reflective layer. For best effect use a spotlight pointing to the area you;re looking at.

United Kingdom

Hey man,

We have polarising layers with an adhesive side for replacing the front polariser (if that is where the scratches are).

Email me and I'll send you some.