Last edited by leavelucktohell (Dec 14, 2017 10:42 am)

IL, US
leavelucktohell wrote:

The same goes for LSDJ, the few reasonably priced carts I see can only load 1 song into SRAM, then anything with more space just goes into game library territory.

the 64MB EMS usb carts hold far more than 1 LSDJ track in SRAM

Naptown

i guess my questions for you are (just rhetorical, some things to consider), what's the advantage to playing/recording from hardware, and what cost would you be willing to pay for that?

there's going to be a bit of up-front cost if you want to make chiptunes on original hardware. honestly the price of an Everdrive is worth it IMHO (for NSF playback on Everdrive, you could use VegaPlay to compile multiple NSFs to one ROM)

that being said, i wouldn't expect the sound out of an (unmodded) NES to be any better than what you're already hearing out of the trackers, so if you really want to go the hardware route, you'll have to invest a little. but if you start saving a few dollars here and there for your Chiptune Fund it will add up soon enough

France

I'm tempted to get an everdrive for my NES, but I'm not sure the sound is that much different than from emulation. Well, probably a bit, but does this worth more than 100 $? A found a copy on aliexpress for less than this, but missed the opportunity to get one. I found an everdrive for megadrive for under 40$ and it works very well. And the sound is indeed different on the original hardware. I'm using this to play the vgm on the everdrive: http://www.mjsstuf.x10host.com/pages/vg … gmPlay.htm

Naptown

i would hesitate to get any everdrives from anywhere other than krikzz as there are known fakes out there. the sound straight from the NES is apparently pretty noisy, although you can do a mod to reduce the noise. more info here: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=7380

apparently there used to be a sound mod from low-gain but looks like it's no longer around

Naptown

the source for VegaPlay is included and yes it is mapper 0.
that is good info about making repros, thanks! bummer about the low-gain mod

another alternative to VegaPlay for Everdrive is the eznsf tool from rainwarrior, it will compile NSF to NES rom using mapper 31 (expansion audio not supported): http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5937

screenshots:

i assume there must be some limit on the number of songs per NSF but i am not sure what it is (cause im a Famitracker noob)

Last edited by urbster1 (May 9, 2017 1:06 am)

The only reason why I'd want to go with hardware sounds is when it comes to expansion audio, and, unless you have something like one of those TNS-HFwhateverthehells, you can only really emulate those chips.

Montreal
Arc-Demon wrote:

The only reason why I'd want to go with hardware sounds is when it comes to expansion audio, and, unless you have something like one of those TNS-HFwhateverthehells, you can only really emulate those chips.

Or you wait for my hardware mod smile

Last edited by plgDavid (May 9, 2017 1:54 pm)

plgDavid wrote:

Or you wait for my hardware mod smile

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear more.

Naptown

i'm happy enough waiting for the software smile ...but that is exciting!!

Montreal

Need to make a real thread when my stuff is ready to show/explain in detail.
In short its a cpu upgrade/mod for the Famicom/NES with multi audio outputs and MIDI input.
(patch compatible with our in dev chipsynth FC VSTi)

IL, US
plgDavid wrote:

Need to make a real thread when my stuff is ready to show/explain in detail.
In short its a cpu upgrade/mod for the Famicom/NES with multi audio outputs and MIDI input.
(patch compatible with our in dev chipsynth FC VSTi)

that sounds awesome. very curious to hear more about it, might make me have a reason to get into using an NES again

oklahoma

Buy a powerpak. Throw a resistor in your NES. Done. It's worth it.
I'm definitely interested in plgDavids mod board. I LIVE for seperate audio channel outs and midi in ports. That's my jam.