Unsubscribe

Glenn Beck thinks chiptunes are the reason america lost its way. And mexicans.

Abandoned on Fire
Nullsleep wrote:
Beverage wrote:

Watch yourself though, you know how the chipmusic community gets all up at arms when you say even the slightest thing they don't like.  wink

Yet the community apparently has no problem with making an appearance on one of the most despicable television channels around.

And here's the other one.

Westfield, NJ
Nullsleep wrote:
Beverage wrote:

Watch yourself though, you know how the chipmusic community gets all up at arms when you say even the slightest thing they don't like.  wink

Yet the community apparently has no problem with making an appearance on one of the most despicable television channels around.  We certainly do seem to have a fucked up set of priorities.

That's the point... it's ironic.

Los Angeles

Br1ght Pr1mate is now the community? wink Lets not derail, this is a great opportunity for them, cheers guys!

Its kind of a bummer to see that people in  the here are paranoid about opportunities like this. They feel they have to beat the "community" to the punch about  being labeled "sell out" etc. Cant people just be happy for other people anymore?

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jul 9, 2010 6:10 pm)

Central-ish VA
8bitweapon wrote:

Br1ght Pr1mate is now the community? wink Lets not derail, this is a great opportunity for them, cheers guys!

I was just poking fun at our own antsiness, didn't mean to lead to a derail.  Pardon me gents.  In any case, I've got this thing set on my DVR, it'll be excellent!

Geneva, NY

Yeah, I think nullsleep was just talking shit about Fox more than anything.

Tucson, AZ
8bitweapon wrote:

Its kind of a bummer to see that people in  the here are paranoid about opportunities like this. They feel they have to beat the "community" to the punch about  being labeled "sell out" etc. Cant people just be happy for other people anymore?

No disrespect to Br1ght Pr1mate, but is this really a "great opportunity" for them?

If you look at it from a purely one-dimensional, any-exposure-is-good perspective, then sure, its great. However, I think there are other factors that should come into play when considering opportunities like this. There are things that I've turned down in the past, not because I was afraid of being labeled a sell-out but because they ran counter to my personal philosophical or political leanings. Of course, this is all entirely subjective and, in the end, everyone must decide for themselves whats most important.

Sure, we can still be happy for each other, and I think this community is still overwhelmingly supportive in general.  But can't we also express dissenting opinions and encourage thoughtful discussion?

Los Angeles

Of course anyone can offer dissenting opinions and encourage thoughtful discussion. But in this case will it change the outcome? I doubt it. Its just weird to me for a person to say "Great job, too bad its XYZ!" to someone. They are super stoked about this gig and likely have no idea about the questionable background of the company. I'd be surprised if they did and/or cared.

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jul 9, 2010 6:39 pm)

Spokompton

I see both sides of this...I hate Fox too but I'm super happy for them to get some national television (!) exposure.

I guess if I look at it from harm vs. good, it's a pretty positive thing to imagine kid at home with his teabagger parents watching Fox and suddenly there are these guys on TV making music with DMGs and thinking, "Whoa people can make music with a gameboy?? Sign me up!" It's like buying DS-10 at Wal-Mart... a pretty little flower growing out of a big pile of shit. Really a beautiful thing in my opinion.

I think that opportunity outweighs the potential confusion from seeing chip artists on faux news. I mean, really... do you think the RNC is going to start calling up chip artists to make public appearances with their reps??

NYC

I think all of us as artists have our own path's we want to go on. Br1ght Pr1mate is pursuing this avenue as a means to get out there more. I agreed to this because I love being a visualist whether getting paid or not (I've done one paid gig, those who know me and all the shows I do might find that surprising). The only problem I see with it is how horribly organized some places are. When I did the Engadget show they were all over the place so lets see if FOX is any better.

Abandoned on Fire

My dvr will be set!

Tucson, AZ
8bitweapon wrote:

Of course anyone can offer dissenting opinions and encourage thoughtful discussion. But in this case will it change the outcome?

To head off any misunderstanding -- my intent was never to change anyone's mind, just to speak my own and to hear what other people had to say.  For instance, while I don't completely agree, I think that undergroundclouds has an interesting perspective on the whole thing (and herr prof expressed similar thoughts on IRC).

8bitweapon wrote:

They are super stoked about this gig and likely have no idea about the questionable background of the company.

First of all, if they're super stoked and they've made the decision to do this after thinking it through, then I wouldn't expect one person's opinion to ruin it for them.  But now, I have to call you on this one -- we are talking about fucking FOX NEWS here, not some obscure little operation that I just happen to be picking a fight with.  I think that any well-informed American should have a pretty good idea of Fox's track record, and if not they may want to pay more attention to the direction the country is headed in.

8bitweapon wrote:

I'd be surprised if they did and/or cared.

Don't even know what to say to this, except for, if someone were saying this about me I'd be pretty fucking offended.

Los Angeles

What evil will come from them performing on fox? Seriously?*

If someone said that about you Jeremiah, they'd be very wrong of course. But many people dont care about fox or businesses like them or politics in general. People want to just do their thing and avoid getting involved, ignorance is bliss. I think most people wouldn't let fox's agenda get in the way of achieving a dream/goal. It think its fair to say they don't know and/or care enough about fox based on the fact they are playing the show.

*I will eat my words if they introduce them as "Now here's some hacked circuit bent mario rave music using samples of video games! Its  the new sound called Chiptones and the band is Bronete Pronemates!"

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jul 9, 2010 8:26 pm)

Unsubscribe
Nullsleep wrote:

I think that undergroundclouds has an interesting perspective on the whole thing (and herr prof expressed similar thoughts on IRC).

For the record:

"i think the argument i would make is there is some poor protocreative stuck in a fox news hell hole in the midwest somewhere.. and they'll see this on their hate monger parents morning tv and LOSE THEIR MIND"

Subvert the system!

Los Angeles

lol ^ the sleeper must awaken!

Spokompton
herr_prof wrote:

..some poor protocreative stuck in a fox news hell hole in the midwest somewhere...

I've been one of these! Maybe that's why I see it from this angle as well smile

If it weren't for AMP on MTV at midnight in '96 I may never have been introduced to electronic music beyond VGM and marginal synth parts in pop...