Minneapolis
OxygenStar wrote:

wow to put me next to tangerine dream is radical... ha.... but arfink, get yourself some OPL3 goodness and join the revolution!!

Well, I have been lusting over some old laptop hardware... but I doubt my next purchase will be an OPL3. I am thinking more along the lines of a Gridcase 1540 laptop... so sleek and sexy in a 1985 sort of way! But you can get a dual ISA bay, believe it or not, which this thing docks to, and I could put an OPL3 in that!

Spokompton

Just wanted to throw out there that if you're OK with a desktop, you might not need a super-old machine. Just something with PCI ports for e.g. an SB Live....and FreeDOS. http://www.freedos.org/

I have been exploring this strange underbelly of 21st century DOS since Saturday, when I got AdlibTracker 2 AND Impulse Tracker (albeit in 8 bit mode) working on my 500mHz VAIO. I also got it running on another, newer (~2001) desktop, but there's no audio because I didn't get a chance to try out the AudioPCI drivers on it yet.

Brazil

This might have passed on you guys:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1560/zetauno-opl3/

Good minimal opl3 stuff.

Spokompton

Yep, that was quality. Actually have it queued up to play on my PSP (I'm at work) shortly smile

EDIT: You know what, you just reminded me that last time I tried to play it on the PSP it crashed Game Music Gear. lol. So I had better take it off there and listen at home some other time instead.

Last edited by undergroundclouds (Jun 10, 2010 7:55 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

FM rocks!  Almost finished with my Midibox FM here and I soon plan to write YM2610 FM tracker music!

Last edited by Theta_Frost (Jun 11, 2010 4:41 pm)

Spokompton

After wasting pretty much all of the last few days' free time on this, I got AdlibTracker to output very poorly to the SBlive. Not as in, at a lower sampling rate, but like only a couple of notes were playing. It seems the emulation is somehow incompatible with AT2.

Being some kind of nerd masochist, I am going to spend even more time trying to get IT to work because I'm in love with the idea of having a DOS "DAW".

Tokyo, Japan
Theta_Frost wrote:

FM rocks!  Almost finished with my Midibox FM here and I soon plan to write YM2010 FM tracker music!

Forgive me for being like MASSIVELY clueless but what is YM2010? I am far from an expert on Yamaha FM stuff but is is a typo or an obscure chip or do I fail hard?

Spokompton

I think it was a play on the YM chip series, and the fact that the current A.D. year is 2010.
(I just got it now...)

Milwaukee, WI
Lazerbeat wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

FM rocks!  Almost finished with my Midibox FM here and I soon plan to write YM2010 FM tracker music!

Forgive me for being like MASSIVELY clueless but what is YM2010? I am far from an expert on Yamaha FM stuff but is is a typo or an obscure chip or do I fail hard?

It was a mistype on my part! Sorry!  I meant YM2610, the FM chip in the Neo Geo.  There is a tracker for it however, MVSTracker! 

http://www.neobitz.com/Pages/DevTools/MVSTracker.aspx

Modified better version here!

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/index.php?page=mvst

Woo!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

OPL3 is niceeee!

i use a old toshiba lappy, with RAD tracker ( the hacked version which allows you to use all the waveforms).

and AT2 also, which i found a little odd to use. I use it like a live instrument playing on the keyboard.

cheers FM-fuckers!

San Francisco

i love fm but i never tried opl3.... maybe its time....

Tokyo, Japan

Get ready for trauma. Getting an opl3. Lappy is a pain in the arse and 4op is implemented really really badly on Adlib Tracker 2. I'm going to use mine as the foundation of a midibox fm

Planet Zaxxon

the 4op may be implemented badly, but what else can do 4-op FM synthesis... FOR FREE ?!??! smile  and even be portable.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

hey, ... Reality Adlib tracker is more simple and friendly IMO. It's more limited but is really really great to get the hang of opl goodness.

EDIT:And my toshiba portege 620CT fails with ADT2 tongue

Last edited by Analog (Oct 19, 2010 1:52 pm)

Planet Zaxxon

True. But for me, I actually found making instruments to be easier in at2 than rad... and you have double the channels. smile

Planet Zaxxon

but yes rad is way simpler....... its just how you can understand each layout.