link courtesy of ne7

Hubbard player, Protracker interface.  Bizarro.

california

weird, its on c64? I love those falling arps.

Brunswick, GA USA

In HVSC, find MUSICIANS/H/Hubbard_Rob and listen to everything there.  It is one of the most important file folders in all of chipmusic.

Unsubscribe
chunter wrote:

In HVSC, find MUSICIANS/H/Hubbard_Rob and listen to everything there.  It is one of the most important file folders in all of chipmusic.

New York City
gizmo wrote:

weird, its on c64? I love those falling arps.

No, this looks like a PC player. Kinda lame.

UK

erm... its just using the Protracker SDL port - possibly with a view to making an editor for Rob's replay.

the dude has managed to reverse rob hubbard's replay and make it readable as notedata already...

New York City

And what is the advantage of the Rob Hubbard player compared to any of the more modern solutions already available?

akira^8GB wrote:

And what is the advantage of the Rob Hubbard player compared to any of the more modern solutions already available?

Same reason Deadman used Tim Follin's driver for a few tracks I guess.  All custom drivers have their little quirks that make them unmistakable.  Hubbard's one is interesting because it's in the generation before wave tables became the norm.  So the instruments are defined more like a patch on a keyboard than the way we usually do them these days.   Also, as much as people try to emulate it, only Hubbard's player sounds like Hubbard's player.  There's something about the gating of that bass sound (heard in Crazy Comets & Commando) , the portamento fx slide in Monty on the Run's intro, and those Tom sounds are total trademark Rob Hubbard.  While you could log the settings to the sounds only Hubbard's player in it's pre-hard restart glory is going to have those little instrument breakups where sounds don't play exactly right each time.   Thinking about it, some of those are to do with how the note data is stored in the driver, it'll be interesting to see if he handles those.

Sorry, I went off on a driver rant there. smile

I think it's interesting.

New York City

Interesting rant, 4mat smile
I guess it's good as an "archeological"  type experiment. But that's all.

Brunswick, GA USA

This compares in principle to what engineers do when they collect vintage gear, they are looking for a specific mach of behavior and sound that can only be created with a specific gear, and now here, code. If you want to do one of those little Crazy Comets "divebombs," get the .sid file and start disassembling... or make a blatant immitation.

Despite that, you still won't be Rob, and quirks in your own composing will come through. Music is great like that. wink

Vancouver, BC
4mat wrote:

While you could log the settings to the sounds only Hubbard's player in it's pre-hard restart glory is going to have those little instrument breakups where sounds don't play exactly right each time.   Thinking about it, some of those are to do with how the note data is stored in the driver, it'll be interesting to see if he handles those.

Sorry, I went off on a driver rant there. smile

That is interesting info and still relevant to today's music.
Such variations and quirks give a tune some "machine soul" which adds a much deeper layer of complexity to what you hear in the music.

Error and fallibility, not totally random either but rather with a chaotic non-linear pattern. I think it's part of what we enjoy when listening to a human performer.

IMHO we do well to study such things and try to incorporate them back into 'modern' technique.

PARIS

I must admit that I'd be overwhelmed by joy if there was a Sid tune editor on PC, with the PT interface, and compatible with Hardsid4U like GoatTRacker smile

(actually, the best would be that some reverse engineer would make an OSX compatible HS4U driver and do that PT like editor on OSX too: smile

wink

uhajdafdfdfa

it's intriguing if only because i hate the goattracker interface

i wonder how far it will get though
high hopes! big_smile

WOW MAN!

Yes OSX driver for HardSID would rule but I don't think it's going to happen. sad

Someone needs to make some kind of cross-platform port of SDI because that is THE greatest C64 music tracker ever.

Montreal

Hum

Is it me or the translation is wrong. listen to commando for the most obvious out of place spikes.
Interresting development nonetheless. I guess it depends on the SID playing core used as well.

Last edited by plgDavid (Jan 5, 2011 3:09 pm)