San Francisco

There is plenty of info on the atari but for some reason i cant find any really good info on the sound chip, its capabilities, comparisons and what not. A little help guys?

Unsubscribe

http://www.qotile.net/files/2600_music_guide.txt

Geneva, NY

Also, if you see b00daw online in irc, hit him up.  He's got a music kit for 2600 that can do stuff beyond what Paul Slocum's can do.  Tell him I sent ya.  wink

San Francisco

tangs guuuuiaz! will do bleo!

San Francisco

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_6532

Australia

Herr_prof's link is a good one.  The 2600 TIA chip is certainly a wild beast to tame.  And even when you've figured out what you can do with it (in a way that keeps you sane) it's still hilariously out of tune and out of control.  That's my experience anyway!!  I have a PC tracker solution for it which semi-simulates what's going to happen, but you don't exactly know until you hit "compile" and put the binary to an EPROM.  My link software (which goes between the tracker and the asm code) is barely working but does enough that i can just hack test files together.  Once my harmony cart arrives I'll hopefully get slightly further with dev and might be able to share it later in the year :-]   At the moment, it's all about fast wave switching and stupidly fast tempos... (and short optimized breaks tunes)

Unsubscribe

OMG DO WANT

I get the impression that the lynx is like a dual tia with better pitch resolution.. have you messed with that at all?

Unsubscribe

thanks nordloef!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/17 … c-tracker/

sweden

big_smile

So excited!

Milwaukee, WI

Lynx is amazing.  Chipper is impossible to use.  I'm picking up a Lynx later this month, so I'll try some of this on hardware and let you know of any results.  smile

Theta_Frost wrote:

Lynx is amazing.  Chipper is impossible to use.  I'm picking up a Lynx later this month, so I'll try some of this on hardware and let you know of any results.  smile

I always like these kind of statenments...
But as long as nobody is trying to use it, the usability will not improve.

and until now the number of improvements by a suggest from someone else than myself is very close to one.

Milwaukee, WI

I'm not saying that I don't respect the work that you put into it, but it IS a very difficult program to work with.

P.S.  It's cool to see you around the forums!  big_smile

Last edited by Theta_Frost (Apr 25, 2011 10:15 pm)

Australia

Hi Sage.  I've been playing with Chipper for about an hour making all kinds of sounds and its great fun.  All I've got to say to the others is HARDEN UP!  Because this isn't an LSDJ or a baseline tracker I think it'll lead to some different sounding tunes.   Once you get used to this tool it becomes usable - just like a DX7.  This is a great program - in beta of course - and I'm very much looking forward to playing with it when I have more time :-)   It has inspired me to head off and get a Lynx and the associated dev cart.  I'm happy to work with you as a tester once I've got my Atari2600 tool out (and don't have to worry about trying to finish it). 

I'm interested in the compiling / exporting process to move the tune to the real hardware.  I haven't even started looking at this yet but it's sure to be an adventure!

Unsubscribe

whats the flash cart like world look like for the lynx?

Australia
herr_prof wrote:

whats the flash cart like world look like for the lynx?

Flat red mini FPGA board.  A bit like a gameboy cart - no casing at the mo.  USB interface to COM converter as per usual.

@Sage: How does the program talk to the linx though the COM port?  Is this via a modded link cable?

New York, New York

Thanks for showing me Chipper. It looks like something I will mess with a bit.