San Francisco

I have just purchased a C64 and it should be arriving soon. I am trying to figure out the best way to capture the audio out put. I know there are mods to install a jack. Would this be set up with a direct wire to the sid output pin or should it be taken from the speaker out line. Or maybe is there a better place to get the signal?

I also know there are different ways to get the audio through the standard monitor/audio outputs, i am wondering if this is any cleaner then an added jack?

Milwaukee, WI

I hooked mine up straight from the SID output shown on this page to a 1/4th jack.  It's worked wonderfully!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

get messiah + sid2sid then toss a C64/NESmod kit into it. and have a blast. wink
Just bi-pass the sid2sid output amp on the 2nd sid, and take the audio outputs direct to the inputs of the C64/NESmod board.

Last edited by low-gain (Jan 25, 2011 5:08 am)

New York City

Getting audio from a SID pin? No, you just wire a cable to a pad on the motherboard that is for audio output. Simple.
Alternatively, just get an A/V cable for it and forget about hacking it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

u need to buffer your output though if you plan to solder wires anywhere... just running the output pin to a jack puts your sid chip at risk.

New York City
low-gain wrote:

u need to buffer your output though if you plan to solder wires anywhere... just running the output pin to a jack puts your sid chip at risk.

That's why you DO NOT take the audio from the pin. There's PLENTY of points to get audio from at the motherboard without the need to do a buffer or any other sort of technical malarkey. Just solder a cable to the pad.

UK
akira^8GB wrote:
low-gain wrote:

That's why you DO NOT take the audio from the pin. There's PLENTY of points to get audio from at the motherboard without the need to do a buffer or any other sort of technical malarkey. Just solder a cable to the pad.

What difference does it make if it's from a location on the motherboard or directly from the chip? None. Yes, it will work but like but the SID chip is still at risk from spikes and other malarky.

York, Yorkshire
akira^8GB wrote:

Alternatively, just get an A/V cable for it and forget about hacking it.

What I did cool

New York City
firebrandboy wrote:

What difference does it make if it's from a location on the motherboard or directly from the chip? None. Yes, it will work but like but the SID chip is still at risk from spikes and other malarky.

Convenience or something blowing before it reaches the chip?

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 25, 2011 3:48 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

>_< i'm just gunna walk away from this one...

San Francisco
low-gain wrote:

before you do... 10k resistor enough buffer you think?

Last edited by wedanced (Jan 26, 2011 2:47 pm)

New York City
low-gain wrote:

Would have been useful if you explained why you would not use the easily available pads on the motherboard.

Sweden

I think the C64mod circuit protects the SID from voltage spikes and such, that would otherwise kill it, but I'm not sure. I'd be interested in buying one, in that case smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
akira^8GB wrote:
low-gain wrote:

Would have been useful if you explained why you would not use the easily available pads on the motherboard.

because you would have probably just disagreed with my reasons anyways? lulz heart  U Akira!

New York City

I am walking away from this one.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm)

california

couldn't you just solder to the back of the din plug? or buy a din cable, which is what i suggest.