Fauxhound wrote:

This horse is amazing.

This post is amazing.

IL, US

no idea how i forgot to put these two in my other post

the velvet underground
operation re-information

Brunswick, GA USA

I thought I had answered this one already, and for many, some of these answers will be obvious:

I have more than a few guilty pleasures...  the truth is that there are too many to mention! Bonus points to anybody that can find a connection in all this stuff....

Sandy Eggo, CA

There were some links, but youtube is a pain.

Last edited by Resistor (Mar 13, 2011 8:38 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Resistor wrote:

I lol'd at this.

Chicago IL

crunkstep

Brunswick, GA USA
Resistor wrote:

It took me an hour and a half to compile that!  Here's what they all are in order and I'll leave it to the observer to google them:

Phil Collins
The Police
Icehouse (band from Australia)
Harry Chapin (late folk-pop singer)
Walt Kelly's Pogo (comic strip)
Midnight Oil
Pet Shop Boys
Kraftwerk
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (anime movie, I really wanted to post the ending but that bit will do)
Orb
Model 500
U2 (here, the Zoo TV tour specifically)
Le Petit Prince (self-illustrated children's book)
Pizzicato Five
Fumitaka Anzai demonstrating how he recorded a BGM cue from anime Urusei Yatsura
Edan (the only YT link that's just the song with no real video)
Saint Etienne
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (series of books)
Daft Punk
Gorillaz (here, 19-2000 from the first album, believe it or not, I like the newer stuff less)
Rilo Kiley (here, playing a song they used to play a lot when I would go see them around 2001. Climax is around 3min.)
Porcupine Tree
Perfume (Japanese sister group)

There are a lot of things I cut out over the course of that hour, and if I felt like spending another hour at it I'd take out a lot of the vocal stuff and substitute more instrumental (I can't believe I left out YMO) and since the OP said "non-chip influences" all the VGM stuff I could name was not considered.

Chepachet, Rhode Island
chunter wrote:

Porcupine Tree

+1

Brunswick, GA USA
8-Bit-Rex wrote:
chunter wrote:

Porcupine Tree

+1

I "found" Porcupine Tree through the Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Transatlantic, IQ (UK band), Marillion "New Progressive Rock" thing.  Though the similarities with Pink Floyd are obvious, I think Porcupine Tree is something a little bit different from all of that and very good.