This may help some people - i had no idea how to do this until about 2 or 3 hours ago... Shiru tipped me off in this thread. You can extract samples using Audacity and your .bin Genesis ROMs. I used the Sonic 1 ROM (it has the "SE-GA" sample built into the ROM directly at the end so, it's really easy to spot). Skitchin has some easy to spot samples, too. From looking around at different ROMs it seems like there is no typical place within the data to find them...
Its worth noting that i used Audacity 1.2.6 for this:
1. GOTO Project > Import Raw Data...
2. locate the .bin ROM - open it
3. a prompt comes up - in the first drop down field - choose Unsigned 8-bit PCM
4. then change the sample rate down in the bottom feild to 16000 (not sure if this works for every game - but any multiple of 8000 would most likely work >> i noticed the default 44100 was speeding the SE-GA sample up so i tried putting different values in there etc.)
5. Click Import
6. Highlight the samples (seems like they're usually grouped together)
7. Use Cntrl + T (Edit > Trim) to trim out the noise that the game data creates (sounds pretty cool actually)
8. I haven't done this yet but, to avoid clipping when you throw your samples back into VGM music maker you might have to use very very tiny fade outs and fade ins at the begining and end of each sample
Last edited by animalstyle (July 12, 2011 2:38 am)