Tokyo, Japan

Greetings all!

I've just started playing around with nanoloop and am really enjoying it so far. Just got a few questions about the best set up / sound possible.

I'm running nanoloop 2.5 on an GBA SP (101 backlit version) at the moment but am interested in forking out for a micro if there are any benefits in doing so.

So yeah, let me know what you think regarding portability, sound quality, ease of use etc.

Cheers!

Chromacle's got a micro with Nanoloop 2.x, I'll page him to this thread!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

i'm using it on a gameboy micro. love it so far.

but my guess is that the nintendo ds lite sounds better (?)

IL, US

pros to using a micro over sp:
smaller, built in headphone jack so you can skip the adapter (for SP), crisp screen

Pros for using SP:
bigger screen, standard GBA port (for sync purposes)

if you like the SP, stick with it unless you spot a micro you like cheap i guess (or really hate those adapters)...
personally, i keep around 2 of each, the SPs only get used if i need to sync 2.3 with something else, otherwise its micros

Ciudad de méxico, MX

yeah, those adapters are a pain. anyone who uses a nintendo ds/lite, care to share the pros/cons?

Philly, PA, USA

I love using nanoloop on the micro, the screen is great, if a bit small, and I find it surprisingly comfortable to use. My only complain is that using it for recording there's a terrible terrible buzz that comes through, just loud enough to be annoying to deal with.

However, for composition, I love using it because it's so pocketable, there's the built in headphone jack, and it's just nice and convenient.

I have, however, been looking into getting an SP and doing Nex's "prosound" mod. Also because the SP has a much more standard link cable adaptor (the color and GBA cable work with it), whereas the micro has a different one. Having to deal with that makes syncing with LSDJ almost impossible.

Realistically I got the micro I did (the famicom anniversary edition) because I liked how it looked. It just turns out to be good for this though. Hope this wasn't too rambly

micros seem awesome. they're pretty much the size of a cell phone

San Francisco
an0va wrote:

micros seem awesome. they're pretty much the size of a cell phone

smaller dood.

i am a fan of the micro tho i do agree that it is a bit noisy. i actually found the sp to be more hissssssy tho. maybe it was just my unit?

probably the cleanest sound you will get for 2.5 is with the DS LITE. it has a clean sound. i mean there is like no background noise.

Palmdale, CA

Standard GBA because theyre more comfortable

San Francisco
Analog wrote:

yeah, those adapters are a pain. anyone who uses a nintendo ds/lite, care to share the pros/cons?

Just a summary for the DS's sound quality.
Lite is great.
original is terrible.

GBA models

original is pretty ok sounding. solid sound with a pretty soft fuzzzz
sp i found it to be loud tho i only tested one model.
micro fuzzy better then sp but worse the original.
sorry for the double post.

Last edited by wedanced (Aug 30, 2011 5:19 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Banks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it.

Regarding the lite, I have one and really like the sound. I just don't like taking my DS lite around with me. But for performance I'll probably go with it!

Wherever

I use a DS Lite too, and I love it. The sound is perfect, it has two backlit (frontlit, no idea..) screens and despite it's size it's still portable. Mine after 4 years of heavy use still has awesome batterylife. And the best part about Nanoloop 2.5 is that you actually only need one cart to make seamless mixes!
The only annoying thing about using a DS Lite with Nanoloop 2.5, is the cart sticking out.

But yeah, I'd say go for the DS Lite.

Offtopic: so that means you'll start writing some awesome Dubtunes on Nanoloop 2? big_smile

IL, US

one important thing: NEVER have DS flash card (r4, acekard, etc) in the DS at the same time as nanoloop 2.x...supposedly, oliver fixed this bug, but there was an issue before where this combination could result in a full wipe of your nanoloop cart data and it is probably best to not risk it

edit: also, sound quality among all models of nintendo handhelds tend to vary from unit to unit, ive had SPs that were hissy and ones that were crystal clear, same is possible with micros...best bet is to carry a cart with you to test at the store, if you can

Last edited by e.s.c. (Aug 30, 2011 11:34 am)

Wherever
e.s.c. wrote:

one important thing: NEVER have DS flash card (r4, acekard, etc) in the DS at the same time as nanoloop 2.x...supposedly, oliver fixed this bug, but there was an issue before where this combination could result in a full wipe of your nanoloop cart data and it is probably best to not risk it

Holy sh*t, I didn't know that... He seemed to have fixed it, because mine still works. Going to take out my R4 right now.

IL, US

yeah, supposedly only an issue with 2.3 carts, for at least the first year or so... at startup, the carts look in the RAM of the GBA itself, if they find nanoloop data, its supposed to overwrite the data in the cart
at first this didn't ignore if no data was found, (the r4 carts seemed to wipe the RAM) and would then overwrite your data with blank data...not sure exactly when he fixed it

Wherever

Wouldn't surprise me if mine would do that too, since the NL2.5's are FUBAR anyways....