0R360N

Moved this from "there" to "here" for the kind people of "here"
=====start=====

You probably noticed I paint shit loads of DMG cases, during these paint jobs I always try to experiment with some paint products.

The other day I discovered a paint that is supposed to be Metallic, so I sprayed in on the DMG case to see what would happen, and to my surprise the plastic absorbed the paint almost like a dye and was dry to the touch within a few minutes. After a few coats of this paint, the results were stunning. The paint was NOT metallic as the cap indicated (to do that you must paint over silver), but a nice, almost pearlescent, and very saturated translucent color.

All of this happens while KEEPING you original "Nintendo Gameboy" text, as well as all other text on the DMG, in tact.

I know your probably thinking "I can just Rit dye it though"... well, I find Rit dying to be a much larger task than just spraying a case quickly. Not to mention the results may seem close in my images, but up close in the right light, these suckers really pop. You can also do stenciling and still not cover the logos, which cant easily be done with Rit.

The paint is called X-Metals, and it made by Krylon

Below are examples of blue and Purple. There is Red, Gold and Green, which pretty much all look great (maybe not the gold so much)

ENJOY!

Manchester,UK

Thank you!

Philly, PA, USA

do you have any tips for preparing the gameboy to be painted?
i know mine's kind of dirty and i don't know what it's been through in its lifetime. also the labels on the back, i assume you take those off, if you have this somewhere a link would suffice, but i've been seriously wanting to paint my gameboy and just have been hesitant to do so in its current condition.

0R360N
pixls wrote:

do you have any tips for preparing the gameboy to be painted?
i know mine's kind of dirty and i don't know what it's been through in its lifetime. also the labels on the back, i assume you take those off, if you have this somewhere a link would suffice, but i've been seriously wanting to paint my gameboy and just have been hesitant to do so in its current condition.

I wash them with hot water, soap and a toothbrush... for really bad ones, some spray  on chemical cleaners work great (scrubbing bubbles etc.)

then I let them dry

then I use adhesive promoter

then I paint smile

York, Yorkshire

Have you tried this on a clear DMG ?  cool

0R360N
BitPop wrote:

Have you tried this on a clear DMG ?  cool

not yet, but I fully plan on it (the one I have blue backlit)

))<>((

Wow, that blue one looks nice. Thanks for the tip. big_smile

Philly, PA, USA

thanks for the tip, i will for sure be trying this in the near future.

Seattle, WA

fancy pants

Barcelona city - Spain

Hey man, any thoughts about where I can buy these spray paints on internet, Krilon products does not exist here in europe "as I know"

Thanks

GNV / FL / USA

I don't even have a Game Boy, but that shit looks so good it makes me want one! Damn my deep rooted consumer urges!

England

The paint job looks stunning! And the text really does show through well. Thanks for this, now to order some of that paint...

Easton, PA, USA

Did this a week or so back, looks and feels awesome. The only place I have ever seen the x-metals paint is walmart, they don't sell it online, but call around or if your in country free of walmats, get a us buddy to send you some.

Alabama, USA

>February 5, 2010
>December 22, 2011

wat

Austin, Texas
Thretris wrote:

I know your probably thinking "I can just Rit dye it though"... well, I find Rit dying to be a much larger task than just spraying a case quickly. Not to mention the results may seem close in my images, but up close in the right light, these suckers really pop. You can also do stenciling and still not cover the logos, which cant easily be done with Rit.

Out of curiousity, do you have any available resources about the RIT dye processes for DMG cases or other plastics? I'd be interested in learning about that.

mrhmouse wrote:

>February 5, 2010
>December 22, 2011

wat

I'm going to defend thread necromancy in this case, because this forum exists to enhance knowledge about certain procedures and processes. If someone bumps and old thread with their input, I'd say that's better than someone making a new thread about an old subject when we could potentially keep all of the information together.

uhajdafdfdfa

a brand new thread just to say "The paint job looks stunning! And the text really does show through well. Thanks for this, now to order some of that paint..." would be stupid so the "necrobump" makes sense here

and the paint job does look good indeed!