b4by f4c3

Has anyone actually seen where u can buy these or have them for sale?
I wouldnt mind messing around on em, or any others that you guys can find that are "knock offs."

Last edited by 8BiT404 (Jan 23, 2012 3:31 am)

matt's mind

got the first one, and a different version of the second.

eh, you can't really find them new.  the first one was more readily available a couple years back but not its even difficult to find.  the second one is rarer, the version i have is functionally the same, and will play gameboy carts like that one too.  there is a thread on here about it actually, with some pics and whatnot.

i've got a lot of clones and knock-offs tbh, its one of my big interests.  i'll post about them sometime wink  only a few are compatible with gameboy carts, most use proprietary cartridges and were made to emulate the shape of various consoles mainly. 

there are a lot of 'falling block' type games in gameboy shaped cases, but not quite proper clones...

b4by f4c3

Good info to know, thanks Kitsch smile

PH

do the EMS Cart Working in that "Gb Knock offs"??

matt's mind

it does in the bottom one (as well as my version of it, which is yellow with a different name, but same guts it seems)

i ran a test on the sound of the yellow knock-off i've got, the results are posted in the thread which discusses the fake gameboy...  the wav channel was funky, everything else passed though...  (you can hear this in track playback on the machine, the wav playback is just wrong...)

not sure if they work in the top one.  there were several of this type released, the GB Boy being one.  i *think* they are all compatible, but i'll need to check...  i can remember testing it, but the memory isn't real enough so is probably fake in my mind... (happens)

glad to know others geek out on this stuff too!

b4by f4c3
kitsch wrote:

it does in the bottom one (as well as my version of it, which is yellow with a different name, but same guts it seems)

i ran a test on the sound of the yellow knock-off i've got, the results are posted in the thread which discusses the fake gameboy...  the wav channel was funky, everything else passed though...  (you can hear this in track playback on the machine, the wav playback is just wrong...)

not sure if they work in the top one.  there were several of this type released, the GB Boy being one.  i *think* they are all compatible, but i'll need to check...  i can remember testing it, but the memory isn't real enough so is probably fake in my mind... (happens)

glad to know others geek out on this stuff too!

Hell yea, when i found the pic of the GB Boy i was like "ok thats two "knock offs" i found. Time to start looking for em."
hahaha

Milwaukee, WI

I love the redundancy of GB Boy.

Sweeeeeeden

Maybe I should mention it here too. If anyone has a fake one and can consider lending it to me for a while, I'd be very happy. I wish to do a teardown of one and document various aspects of the hardware and CPU behavior.

San Francisco
nitro2k01 wrote:

Maybe I should mention it here too. If anyone has a fake one and can consider lending it to me for a while, I'd be very happy. I wish to do a teardown of one and document various aspects of the hardware and CPU behavior.

some one take this gents offer. he knows what he is doing and this has been a curiosity for years.

Like Kitsch said, the second clone is rare. It's not something you can readily purchase, and if you're lucky enough to find one for sale, you should be prepared to pay a hefty buck on it. I've received some generous offers on mine, but I have no plans to part with it just yet.

I always wanted one of this type:

sweden
Apeshit wrote:

Like Kitsch said, the second clone is rare. It's not something you can readily purchase, and if you're lucky enough to find one for sale, you should be prepared to pay a hefty buck on it. I've received some generous offers on mine, but I have no plans to part with it just yet.

Found one for 15 bucks once. Didnt buy it.

b4by f4c3

My friend just sent me this, looks pretty interesting.....

Cleveland, OH
8BiT404 wrote:

Bought that for my girlfriend for christmas.
It actually is very awesome. Buttons respond well. It has a li-on battery. And plays super Game Boy carts perfectly!
The screen is pretty big for a portable and looks great tho it may be a little stretched out horizontally.
The speaker is loud and sounds pretty decent.

Louisiana
8BiT404 wrote:

Yea these things are sold on a website. Wish I could remember which.  And they also have them in a game store close to where I work from time to time. They sell them for about 80$ if memory serves me right. I've been debating on grabbing one for awhile now. I'd want to put a Super GameBoy in it and use LSDJ in it so I'm concerned with the sound quality which has been the main reason I haven't bought one. The people running the store won't let me open one and give it a test run.

uhajdafdfdfa
Vex wrote:
8BiT404 wrote:

Yea these things are sold on a website. Wish I could remember which.  And they also have them in a game store close to where I work from time to time. They sell them for about 80$ if memory serves me right. I've been debating on grabbing one for awhile now. I'd want to put a Super GameBoy in it and use LSDJ in it so I'm concerned with the sound quality which has been the main reason I haven't bought one. The people running the store won't let me open one and give it a test run.

well the sound is generated by the super gameboy so if you are using a real one of those you should have no problems?