Note pitches and envelopes through the AY, not waveforms. (afaict)  Still not bad at all.   Having had a go at playing AY tracks on the SID there are certain things that chip can do that SID can't do accurately.

Forum link

New York City

The main problem would be the filter, but this would be great to play back tunes for the C64DTV.

incidently, anyone wanting a huge amount of Amstrad music to listen to might enjoy this.

San Francisco

u guys want to post some demos of what this sounds like.

wedanced wrote:

u guys want to post some demos of what this sounds like.

The Amstrad has the same sound chip as a Spectrum 128k or Atari ST and can do the same tricks those machines can from drivers.   However only the basic pure tone and noise waveforms are used here, no digi tracks, just envelope and driver playback emulation.  A few songs seem to change speed occasionally (like Green Beret) but it's quite impressive nonetheless.  I'm intrigued what's going on under the bonnet (as you can use SID files without any conversion) if it's doing cpu emulation or a pre-process or what.  Unfortunately the forum it came from is in Hungarian and even with google translate I can't find the post by the author.

If you use the Winape emulator you can copy/paste sid files onto the disk image and try it.

San Francisco

ooo ok. cool! nifty little thing.

haha i thought it was like attempting to completely emulate the sid sound via the native chip. aleksi eeben did something like that using a vic-20 pretty sweet stuff. it even attempted to emulate the filters if i remember correct.
it was some interesting results.

Hi all

I created the player used 6510 emulation code of Simon Owen, and CPC header checking. The player spends a lot of time with 6510 code, this is the reason of speed changing on CPC, on Enterprise I met less speed changing, may be the cause of this on EP the processor is running at 4Mhz if the code is not in the video Memory.
Yes, only some feature is emulated, frequency registers, envelopes in 50Hz, control registers (without wave formats), and volume register, if I remember well.
And the noise emulation is also interesting on CPC, because when noise should apply then I give fix 0f value to noise channel, and drive the frequency with tone channel frequency (set reg 6 tone and noise enable on a channel), with this solution 3 different noises can appear on the AY.
That's all what I remember now, if you have questions, do not hesitate.

one thing.

The player can play songs in 2 speeds, 50Hz, and 100Hz, does not matter of SID speed, ex if the speed of SID is 60Hz the player plays it on 50Hz.