the heart of a mountain

blimey, midi sync nanoloop for 7euro...I just ordered 3!

herr_prof wrote:

So currently means that this is something that may happen in the future?

Yes. Trash80 was so kind to provide me with the source and when I have the time to, I'll try to add nanoloop save capabilities.

So, has anyone tested this with LSDJ yet? If so, how well does it work? I have 4 cartridges and 4 GB's I would love to sync with Ableton. smile

Unsubscribe

It wont work with LSDJ.

herr_prof wrote:

It wont work with LSDJ.

Ah, bugger...
Would be a really cool and cheap sync option...

It should work with LSDj. I haven't tried it but included the sync code.

Last edited by oliver (Feb 17, 2012 7:58 pm)

Unsubscribe

!!!

herr_prof wrote:

!!!

!!!

Can someone please test it and confirm tongue

It will take a few days until the first orders arrive amd someone can test it with LSDj.

However, the LSDj sync scheme is really simple and similar to nanoloop's, I can't think of anything going wrong here. In sync mode, the adaptor sends a byte to the Game Boy for each received MIDI clock. For nanoloop sync, this byte is toggled on and off (0x00, 0xff). From what I understand, mostly by looking at the Arduinoboy code, LSDj just reads the serial clock, not the data and hence interprets *any* incoming byte (8 serial clock ticks) as a MIDI clock signal. Since the adaptor sends only sync signals in sync mode and handles start / stop (this is where nanoloop and LSDj work the same "dumb" way I think), it should work.

Sweeeeeeden

As far as I remember, in *slave* mode, LSDj interprets the first byte as start position. In other words, LSDj should ideally be in MIDI mode for sync. The MIDI was intended for the first generation NL MIDI adapter. LSDj's MIDI mode is just sync, and nothing else. No notes etc. 1 byte = 1 tick. This means that if the MIDI master sends additional bytes, they will be counted as sync and make the song go too fast.

Yes, I'm talking about MIDI sync only. In sync mode (can be set with the PC utility), the adaptor only processes start / stop and only sends data for clock sinals. For the "dumb" sync modes of LSDj and nanoloop.
I know there are other modes in LSDj that expect special pre-processed data from the MIDI adaptor (=Arduinoboy). But as you suggested, except for the "legacy" sync mode, the adaptor should be the "dumb" part and just forward MIDI (in its default MIDI mode) while the Various Game Boy programs can decide what to do with it (including full sync with song position etc). It should be possible to do the MIDI processing within LSDj. too.

IL, US

just ordered one that'll probably mostly get used with that kenton usb host smile

New York City

I already have a feature request (and my package has not arrived yet tongue)
Trash80 made a Max/MSP patch to set which MIDI channels one can use with mGB. This software works with Arduinoboy.
Can we have similar functionality for this adapter? The default channel numbers used are a little bit inconvenient for me.

matt's mind

^ alternatively, you could use a midi patchbay software to reroute the MIDI channels to your preferences, then save the patch for future use

like this

Unsubscribe

Actually yea thats a good work around, since you are stuck using a dumb ol computer anyways big_smile

New York City

Those MIDI virtual cable things are usually a pain in the ass to work out and are another layer of delay I add to the pipe (something one have to be wary about with these lame USB MIDI devices with lots of latency)
It would be much better if this can be changed period.