shanghai

this place gets more like 8bc everyday...........

AANABAY01

well the secret is that there's nothing to talk about =F

buffalo, NY

OK pretentious serious cap on for a second.

While Chiptune is to been seen as a synthesizer or instrument, NOT a genre...

Because of the uniqueness of the instrument and the way music is composed for it, I posit that there are chiptunes that defy modern classification and thus could be seen as their own genre that is exclusive to chiptune.

Thoughts?

Matthew Joseph Payne

There are idiomatic stylistic elements that tend to pervade all genres of chiptune (arps, fast lines, voice sharing etc), but that's true of all genres of music that share an instrument. Block chord voicings, fast scales and big octaves are all "pianistic" things that appear in classical, jazz and piano based rock, but those things are not the same genre.

Ultimately, the instruments we use have distinct quirks, but it's essentially just a computer being programmed to play music - ultimately not that unique. Also in this category are software based sequencers, hardware MIDI sequencers, very complicated modular synths, production workstations. They share the ability to do all of the things we know of as defining stylistic elements of chiptune, they only difference being that they don't generally have the limitations that require the use of those techniques.

Unsubscribe
ant1 wrote:

which do you make?

Stoner Chip.

danimal cannon wrote:

Because of the uniqueness of the instrument and the way music is composed for it, I posit that there are chiptunes that defy modern classification and thus could be seen as their own genre that is exclusive to chiptune.

Thoughts?

I agree with you Danimal; Chiptunes also at a certain feel for each genre just because of the feel of the instrument.

I also feel as though the music for older game soundtracks have developed their own genre of music for their field and for lack of a better term sometimes that genre (which actually is a genre) is often referred to as chiptune. A couple of those old soundtracks are in a league of their own and deserve their own genre classification.

Also, there are a few genres chip has founded based on the sweeping arpeggios and complex patterns that are really only possible on an instrument like a gameboy/tracker.

Lawrenceville, GA

just write music.  let whoever else classify it

buffalo, NY
RushJet1 wrote:

just write music.  let whoever else classify it

OH GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR CRAZY TALK

Sweden

Somebody PM me when Chip Gospel

Westfield, NJ
Zef wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Thoughts?

I agree with you Danimal; Chiptunes also at a certain feel for each genre just because of the feel of the instrument.

I also feel as though the music for older game soundtracks have developed their own genre of music for their field and for lack of a better term sometimes that genre (which actually is a genre) is often referred to as chiptune. A couple of those old soundtracks are in a league of their own and deserve their own genre classification.

Also, there are a few genres chip has founded based on the sweeping arpeggios and complex patterns that are really only possible on an instrument like a gameboy/tracker.

Let me just say that what you guys are talking about goes by a few names... "soundtrack" or "theme" music are good examples. What people usually refer to as "chiptunes as a genre" is not exclusive to chiptune or videogame hardware.

And I know that those arps and patterns can be very complex and you think they are only possible on a tracker, but I'm pretty sure a full orchestra with a clever conductor could play that just as well.

California

people who projecting there narrow artistic view onto abstract medium which would otherwise have no suggested implementation.nsf.wav.mp3.flac

Russia, Moscow

Guitar shredders are able to play much more complex arpeggios than those that usually used in chiptunes, at speeds about 25 notes per second, the speed of common 'slow' arpeggio.

Matthew Joseph Payne
boomlinde wrote:

Somebody PM me when Chip Gospel

Jay Tholen

buffalo, NY
Decktonic wrote:

And I know that those arps and patterns can be very complex and you think they are only possible on a tracker, but I'm pretty sure a full orchestra with a clever conductor could play that just as well.

Yeah those 16th note triplet arpeggios (that span 3 octaves) at 220bpm while modulating duty cycle and hard left right panning are totally do-able.

buffalo, NY
Shiru wrote:

Guitar shredders are able to play much more complex arpeggios than those that usually used in chiptunes, at speeds about 25 notes per second, the speed of common 'slow' arpeggio.

As that guy who actually does this IRL, not really.

Matthew Joseph Payne

WAIT GUYS, I'VE GOT IT

Chiptune: genre

Chipmusic: set of tools and idioms