Sweden
Decktonic wrote:

Let me just say that what you guys are talking about goes by a few names... "soundtrack" or "theme" music are good examples. What people usually refer to as "chiptunes as a genre" is not exclusive to chiptune or videogame hardware.

And I know that those arps and patterns can be very complex and you think they are only possible on a tracker, but I'm pretty sure a full orchestra with a clever conductor could play that just as well.

What a clever conductor and his orchestra can play is completely irrelevant in this matter. They could probably play Purple Haze as well, but that doesn't make hard rock any less of a genre.

California

I am just against the idea of genres for everything. I am an artists not an encyclopedia.

Sweden

I don't know, different genres and off-shoots are pretty much a natural phenomenon when it comes to any craft. We just do the lousy job of naming them.

California

Everything is learned though (through conditioning), I guess my argument has no weight tongue I just like to think differently at all costs.

Westfield, NJ
boomlinde wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

Let me just say that what you guys are talking about goes by a few names... "soundtrack" or "theme" music are good examples. What people usually refer to as "chiptunes as a genre" is not exclusive to chiptune or videogame hardware.

And I know that those arps and patterns can be very complex and you think they are only possible on a tracker, but I'm pretty sure a full orchestra with a clever conductor could play that just as well.

What a clever conductor and his orchestra can play is completely irrelevant in this matter. They could probably play Purple Haze as well, but that doesn't make hard rock any less of a genre.

That's my point, though. The argument that gameboys/trackers provide some unique musical construction that gives way to completely new genres, simply by virtue of the fact that you can only do these things with gameboys/trackers, is false. It's not that simple.

That being said, I'm going to bow out of this discussion right now. It's a troll thread, and everytime I try to express my opinion on one of these topics, everyone just decides I'm an asshole for saying anything. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me 10 times, uh....

AANABAY01

half the punk songs in the world are reggae and half the rock songs in the world are blues and it's impossible to care

kineticturtle wrote:

WAIT GUYS, I'VE GOT IT

Chiptune: genre

Chipmusic: set of tools and idioms

BAM! Book it!

California

Chiptune doesnt really even exist, its all metaphysical 1s and 0s interpreted by a 20+ year old circuit board. I guess the headphone jack exists. Im not trolling by the way I actually think like this sad

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

half the punk songs in the world are reggae and half the rock songs in the world are blues and it's impossible to care

Matthew Joseph Payne

Data exists as electrical impulses and magnetic patterns.

Also, vibrations in the air (and matter) exist.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I think we all know these kinds of threads never actually go anywhere. They just serve as vessels for arguing about something.

Sweden
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

I think we all know these kinds of threads never actually go anywhere. They just serve as vessels for arguing about something.

You're saying it like it's a bad thing. Internet forums give you the perfect opportunity to non-intrusively argue about anything for the sake of perspective and opinion exchange. There's a lot more of that to gain from a disagreement than everyone just chiming in harmoniously.

EDIT: This post pairs just perfectly with my avatar.

Last edited by boomlinde (Mar 29, 2012 7:48 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

It's not a bad thing. I wouldn't be reading let alone posting if there wasn't something I thought was interesting going on.

melbourne, australia

calmdownkidder has pretty much nailed it with his post.

STARDRAIN, CA

chip poopoo
chip dip
clip chip
satanic chiptune
gay chip
trisexual chip
chip shrek 3
chip asian avant- garde

STARDRAIN, CA

in all honest, it think all music should be less about genre, and more about your PERSONAL thing. NOSTYLE... I AM KOOL SKULL.. whats up?