pdx

I just got an MPC 1000, which seems perfect for nanoloop and recording samples of loops. Anyone else use this gear, any tips?

San Angelo, TX

I use an MPC500
Extremely similar, but im going to get rid of it on ebay to get the new MPC Renissance

Joliette, QC, Canada

yeah, get the ram Upgrade and if you have the cash...upgrade it to JJOS2XL (MIDI just succks in akai OS, my nanoloop cable doesnt work, but in JJOS it worked perfectly !!!)

Bristol

Yeah I got a 500 too.. super useful as a little sampler.. I pretty much use it to bash out little spoken word bits then sequence the other samples with a separate sequencer.

pdx
XyNo wrote:

yeah, get the ram Upgrade and if you have the cash...upgrade it to JJOS2XL (MIDI just succks in akai OS, my nanoloop cable doesnt work, but in JJOS it worked perfectly !!!)

It came with the ram upgrade luckily, but I had to get new pads (I guess this is a major problem with older MPCs). I've tried JJOS2XL and love it ( I almost wish he wouldn't let you demo it for free!).
I'm excited as well because I just got a Korg MS2000R, sequencing here I come! So exciting!

By the way how do you sequence Nanoloop and MPC? With Oliver's new MIDI/USB thing? I got a GBLink cable to USB thing from Oliver to Update a buggy NL 2.5, I wonder if this could be used for MIDI sync as well. Or am I way off base?

Joliette, QC, Canada
melkor wrote:
XyNo wrote:

It came with the ram upgrade luckily, but I had to get new pads (I guess this is a major problem with older MPCs). I've tried JJOS2XL and love it ( I almost wish he wouldn't let you demo it for free!).
I'm excited as well because I just got a Korg MS2000R, sequencing here I come! So exciting!

By the way how do you sequence Nanoloop and MPC? With Oliver's new MIDI/USB thing? I got a GBLink cable to USB thing from Oliver to Update a buggy NL 2.5, I wonder if this could be used for MIDI sync as well. Or am I way off base?

yeah old model pads are a real pain in the ass, just feel so great when you do the pad upgrade !!!
Sweet I have a MS2000r and it's real fun !
and btw, you cannot sequence with nanoloop, just doing MIDI Syncing !

shanghai

dope. didnt know you could use an mpc with nano, never thought about that. i thought its relevant i give a rec for my cheap mpc substitute, the akai MPD18. has the same mpc pads as hte expensive ones, like the MPD32, and beat repeat all that, less than 100 quid. WELL worth it for live sets. obviously its a midi controller in the form of an mpc so all the sounds are from ableton or whatever you use to play live. but i think for that price its really a good deal, compared to the MPD32 with all the faders, thats like more than double the price.....i guess alot will be in the same boat as me, having plenty of faders on my midi keyboard anyway...id been waiting for something just with pads, but not like those shitty nanopads that bust in a month. anyhow just here to say the MPD18 is DOPE !

Joliette, QC, Canada
Downstate wrote:

dope. didnt know you could use an mpc with nano, never thought about that. i thought its relevant i give a rec for my cheap mpc substitute, the akai MPD18. has the same mpc pads as hte expensive ones, like the MPD32, and beat repeat all that, less than 100 quid. WELL worth it for live sets. obviously its a midi controller in the form of an mpc so all the sounds are from ableton or whatever you use to play live. but i think for that price its really a good deal, compared to the MPD32 with all the faders, thats like more than double the price.....i guess alot will be in the same boat as me, having plenty of faders on my midi keyboard anyway...id been waiting for something just with pads, but not like those shitty nanopads that bust in a month. anyhow just here to say the MPD18 is DOPE !

well it works but my Nanoloop midi cable don't work on MPC500 and on Akai OS in my MPC1000...
btw for the MPD18, if the pads are the same as the MPD24...no they don't feel the same and I don't really like these ones !

Last edited by XyNo (Mar 4, 2012 9:21 pm)

Finland

Its heart of my live performance and sequencing. I only have the MPC500 too at the moment but as a live instrument, its the best. And as a midi sequencer its a beast too.

Spokompton

I kind of love mine but I get irritated by it sometimes. I'm not a huge fan of how centralized it is when you use its sequencer - it's one of those pieces of gear that forces you into a workflow and as fine as you dig that flow it's great, otherwise you're SOL. The best thing to do is to chop up jams or whatever into percussive-ish chunks and bash the pads like J-Dilla. So funnnnn!

I concur about JJOS2XL, it rules, it turns it into a very powerful machine. Also JJ just dropped some updates today I think!

Does anybody have any more examples of how they use their MPCs in a live/studio setup? I have one, but I feel like I'm not being as creative with it as I could be sad

San Angelo, TX

Getting rid of my MPC, buying ETIs maschine!
If you wanna be creative, create some samples in your daw or just cut raw samples from YouTube shit and play around with them!

Finland

What do you mean? Live I use it mostly to mute / unmute tracks and do some layering of different tracks to get weird bends etc. (I'm mostly controlling couple synths with it).

On studio I use it to sequence all my tracks. Drums with pads, for melodies I usually hook up a keyboard. Note repeat + swing on that machine are the best things ever.

DKSTR wrote:

What do you mean? Live I use it mostly to mute / unmute tracks and do some layering of different tracks to get weird bends etc. (I'm mostly controlling couple synths with it).

On studio I use it to sequence all my tracks. Drums with pads, for melodies I usually hook up a keyboard. Note repeat + swing on that machine are the best things ever.

Wow, my MPC is seriously underutilized. Where did you learn your stuff? Every time I try and sit down with that book I just get so put out by how much information they're throwing at me.

Finland
xombiexplox wrote:
DKSTR wrote:

Wow, my MPC is seriously underutilized. Where did you learn your stuff? Every time I try and sit down with that book I just get so put out by how much information they're throwing at me.

I spent one day with the manual and just tried shit.

I even wrote a realtime diary about it:
http://dkstr.tumblr.com/post/4655967909 … mpc-part-i

For controlling midi stuff with it, its basically same but just choosing what channel you are sending the midi from track.

Fargo

If you like dubstep, it can be good for those quick changes in the bass pattern.  I found this video a while back when I was doing research.

Also, you ever watch boyinaband's stuff?  He offers a lot of tutorials for things like this.

Check it out!  smile