UK
Radlib wrote:

Or if you wanted to try to get the newer model which is more money, and also discontinued, there is the NUMARK X9. They seem to be hard to find though.

http://www.numark.com/product/x9

Cool, thanks for these. They look interesting and close to what I could be after. By effects I really meant external effects.

San Diego, CA

I'm gonna keep shouting "hey" at the Korg KM402 for your 4-channel DJ FX Mixer needs:

http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/km.php

they're not in production anymore, so you'll probably have to eBay one -- they're around $300ish I think. fx per channel. they pretty much took a mini-kp and smashed it into the mixer, so that's the fx set you'll be working with.

there's also the behringer djx750 -- it's a little cheaper, which means the fx aren't as good but it fits your requirements pretty well:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DJX750.aspx

unfortunately, I'm not aware of very many mixers that have an actual fx send per channel if you're trying to get a kp3 or something into your chain. I've seen chillbrave with a workaround that involves 2 mixers and having one of them with an fx send loop (with a kp3) feed into the second one which acts as like a "master" mixer, but that's something you'll have to figure out

UK
spacetownsavior wrote:

I'm gonna keep shouting "hey" at the Korg KM402 for your 4-channel DJ FX Mixer needs:

http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/km.php

they're not in production anymore, so you'll probably have to eBay one -- they're around $300ish I think. fx per channel. they pretty much took a mini-kp and smashed it into the mixer, so that's the fx set you'll be working with.

there's also the behringer djx750 -- it's a little cheaper, which means the fx aren't as good but it fits your requirements pretty well:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DJX750.aspx

unfortunately, I'm not aware of very many mixers that have an actual fx send per channel if you're trying to get a kp3 or something into your chain. I've seen chillbrave with a workaround that involves 2 mixers and having one of them with an fx send loop (with a kp3) feed into the second one which acts as like a "master" mixer, but that's something you'll have to figure out

Cool, thanks for the info. I noticed the behringer 802 has an adjustable FX send for external effect units though it doesn't seem to be a function in DJ mixers.

Do none mixers like this currently exist? If so what kind of process would go into making your own mixer? No doubt it'd be complicated and technical.

Alive and well in fucksville

The km-202 is the best mixer ever. its like the 402, just cheaper. there is a mod that lets you add a soundcard to it too.

Outer Space
bitjacker wrote:

The km-202 is the best mixer ever. its like the 402, just cheaper. there is a mod that lets you add a soundcard to it too.

I have a 402 (love it btw) is there a way to mod a soundcard to that one?

San Diego, CA
CS wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info. I noticed the behringer 802 has an adjustable FX send for external effect units though it doesn't seem to be a function in DJ mixers.

Do none mixers like this currently exist? If so what kind of process would go into making your own mixer? No doubt it'd be complicated and technical.

I haven't seen mixers with multiple fx sends, unfortunately. it seems like most mixers will go down two paths -- one is the dj mixer route with built-in fx per channel, and one is the studio/instrument-oriented mixer with a single external fx send.

have you considered using a software solution? I know this is the mixer thread but I've been working with ableton and it'll give you SO MUCH control over the fx you're using per channel depending on how you map your midi controller. it's a bit of a learning curve but I've found it immensely helpful and worth it to get through. not so sure about making your own mixer tho, you'll have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me, but the things you're looking for might just be easier to do in software than hardware -- it's just something that's such an edge case that no company is going to really profit from making mixers that will support other companies' fx units with multiple fx sends sad

bitjacker wrote:

never heard of the soundcard mod! the 202 is the 2-channel version of the 402, and I only recommended the 402 because CS was looking for a 3+ channel mixer

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Jun 8, 2014 1:42 am)

IL, US

lots of studio style mixers have 2 aux sends instead of just one... i;m selling rwo different mackies which both have 2 aux sends, a mackie onyx 1220 & a mackie onyx 820i firewire mixer

Fargo

I have a xenyx 802, looking to upgrade for live performance and recording using 4-5 dmg's and/or possibly laptop. was been looking at a mackie profx12, any advice?

Long Beach/Orange County, CA

Has anybody used/heard of a Nady MM-242 mixer for their live setup? The price is BEYOND right at $30, and other than possibly introducing noise I can't imagine it would bork up the audio quality too terribly. Even then, the lack of an EQ or any sends makes me think the circuit is extremely simple, and therefore unlikely to introduce very much noise.

I might pick one up just by virtue of the cost...

So I'm planning on upgrading my home studio a bit. Budget around 150 - 250€
The idea is to buy a mixer and I was thinking of buying the Mackie 802 VLZ4
https://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_802_vl … 2_319311_0

I use a GBA classic to make beast w/ NL 2.5.7 and I have also two pro sound modded DMGs.
I have also an old Yamaha Keyboard with MiDi in/out and some really fun factory sounds. The Yamaha only has one 1/8 Jack output. (I even think that output is intended for headphones)

Would this be a good idea of purchase? Do you have a good audio interface to recommend to go with that mixer (sound card) ? I'm planning to replace my EMU 0404 USB with something better. Would a Focusrite do the trick?

Last edited by Cobi (Aug 3, 2016 4:11 pm)

IL, US

mackie stuff is great. very durable, good preamps, excellent eq, very clean sounding (doesn't add any noise to the signal).. as far as the keyboard, all you need is one of these cables to hook it up to the mixer.. the 802 has just enough inputs for you to hook up all 4 devices at once (you'd just have to split one device over channels 1 & 2 and pan them on the mixer)

as far as soundcards, i've only ever heard good things about focusrite..

I was asking a college at work if he thought that that Mackie Mixer would suit my purpose and he told me that It would be a terrible impedance mismatch if I was to connect the GBA via the headphone jack to the line in on the mixer. Is he right or would it work just as fine ?

Edit: And also, if I hook up all my gameboys to the mixer through the line in, can I record them to my computer by connecting the balanced XLR output from the mixer to the balanced XLR input on my USB interface ?

Last edited by Cobi (Aug 5, 2016 9:57 am)

IL, US

it works fine, i've been doing it for over a decade... the game boys just output at a lower volume level than most pro audio gear is all, can easily be worked around by lowering the volume of other gear you plug in..if the other gear sends a particularly loud signal, you may want to prosound mod the game boys, but that's not essential... and yeah, you can use the XLR outputs of a mixer with XLR inputs on a soundcard (or to hook up to XLR inputs on the house mixer if playing a live gig)

Can anyone recommend me a mixer for the following hardware, im a bit unsure how barebones it needs to be concidering the other hardware involved;

2x DMG with LSDJ
Kaoss Pad,
Octatrack
Analog heat

Cheers.

The Forest, WA
Pixel.danny wrote:

Can anyone recommend me a mixer for the following hardware, im a bit unsure how barebones it needs to be concidering the other hardware involved;

2x DMG with LSDJ
Kaoss Pad,
Octatrack
Analog heat

Cheers.

2xDMG --> into Kaoss Pad ---> then into Octatrack A/B (C/D other DMG?) audio inputs (activate thru machine(s)) ---> Main out of OT into analog heat ---> Output to whatever.

use Ocatrack as mixer for LSDj's  , you can throw that whole chain on a DJ FX mixer if you want behringer makes cheap ones, pioneer makes high end ones. or get a korg dj mixer. or allen and heath. but for now you only have 2 things into Octatrack and all those things into analog heat at the end so your passing alot of audio through.