Santa Cruz, California

2/6/2013       1:32 pm

UPDATE:
So, yeah, I crossed a couple of wires... LSDj still won't boot. I'm going to eliminate the ribbon cable, and try some heavier gauge wire.

2/6/2013       3:43 pm

So here we go with heavier gauge wire... I have no idea how that's going to help, but I'm out of options until I get my hands on an oscilloscope.
Lets try this thing! I've got some more four strand... if nothing else, at least it'll be colorful.

› Teh Colours!

'Time Consuming' is not nearly descriptive enough. I'm using the motherboard and cartridge port I originally started this project with.

› Numbers matching

Drum roll, please!

Beep Boo Boop, we're fucked. So that doesn't work. Let's try wiring up the new cartridge port.

› Welcome to my nightmare...

Now I have everything hooked up and ready to rock. I honestly don't think anything's going to happen, but let's plug in Zelda and giv... Dafuq!? IT WORKS!!!

› Holy Shit!

ZOMG! Let's try LSDj...

Shit...
Well, I guess it's better than nothing. The mighty oscilloscope will offer me more answers this evening.

2/6/2013       6:20 pm

Uhhh... Has anyone had LSDj suddenly disappear from their flash cart?
I just plugged it into my DMG, and nothing... blank screen (after the BLING! or course).
Perhaps that's what the glitching was on the keyboard?

2/6/2013       7:00 pm   

Okay. I can still flash the cart (loaded Pokemon Red on there) and it plays... but, not on the keyboard... and LSDj still doesn't work.
I hate software...

2/6/2013       7:47 pm

Soooo... LSDj will still run on an emulator, but not on any hardware?
I think I'm gonna call it a day.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 8, 2013 9:38 pm)

Santa Cruz, California

2/7/2013       7:37 pm

While I'm waiting for imgur to upload all of my images, I'm posting a video.
Yes, I sound like a 90's stoner cartoon character.
And, just like every other DMG video on youtube, half of this shit is out of focus...

Santa Cruz, California

FINALLY!
I'm all caught up.
I'll post some more progress this evening.

Santa Cruz, California

Thanks to Alpine for compiling this for me.

It even works on my Keyboard!

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 10, 2013 6:32 am)

Melbourne, Australia

A tricky problem, yet I know you'll work it out at some point soon.
But before that time comes, we need to plan what sort of festivities are going to happen inside this thread.
Grilled cheese sandwiches all round.

Last edited by Calavera (Feb 8, 2013 11:40 pm)

Your face logo is similar to one I draw on everything.  I need to learn to make me a rom file like that.

Last edited by nerdsome (Feb 8, 2013 10:45 pm)

Santa Cruz, California
nerdsome wrote:

Your face logo is similar to one I draw on everything.  I need to learn to make me a rom file like that.

I've been using this logo since 7th grade (1996-97).
I would have compiled this rom myself, but I couldn't get the appropriate software to work. Alpine offered to do it for me.

UK, Leicester
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
nerdsome wrote:

I've been using this logo since 7th grade (1996-97).
I would have compiled this rom myself, but I couldn't get the appropriate software to work. Alpine offered to do it for me.

@nerdsome If you want I'll show you how, or make one for you, pm me

I know I've said this before at least once, but I can't wait to see this finished.

Last edited by Alpine (Feb 9, 2013 12:11 am)

Santa Cruz, California

So, yesterday and today was spent soldering... meticulously soldering.
Totally worth it. Everything fits in the case (so far) and everything that's hooked up works (except LSDj of course).

› Just look at what I had to deal with...

I also made another video where I sound like a complete dork.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 9, 2013 4:17 am)

Louisiana

Still lovingthis thread! Now to try and help. Try putting the same version of lsdj on both pages of the cart. Give that a try and see what happens. I had a bery similar issue little over a year ago and that fixed it. Hope it helps mans.

PS: @Alpine id like a simple little rom logo made smile ive tried a few times and cant get it to work.

Santa Cruz, California

Most of my day was spent working in my yard. While I was part way through consolidating the remainder of my firewood, I struck upon something funny, and had to take a picture:

› Whoever said video games had no real world application, obviously never played Tetris, or had a fireplace

Anyway, I spent a little time working on my keyboard. I installed the knobs for the contrast and headphone volume control.

› A peak at the squigly bits

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 10, 2013 9:52 am)

+1 for Tetris woodpile. My thoughts for years of wood fire heating.

Santa Cruz, California

So, here we go. Let's fix that timing.
There's a 4.194304 mhz crystal in there. My thinking is that it's running too fast, and that's why I can't access the ram on my flash cart.

As an example of my timing issue; let's flash a game onto the cart.

› how about kirby?

Now let's test it.

› on my gaming DMG

Okay. On the keyboard, it boots to the load screen, but there's no music and it freezes.

› Freezing on the Keyboard

I just need some slower crystals.

› Oh look, here's some... how convenient.

Now lets experiment.

› 3.992 mhz

The screen is super glitched, BUT the game boots, and there is some music. Unfortunately, the game crashes shortly after.
It's progress though.

› let's try the 3.579 mhz crystal.

There's no screen shot for that one. It'll play music vvvveeerrrrryyyyy sssssslllllllloooooooooowwwwlllyyyyyyyyy, but I couldn't test the game play because nothing boots if the daughter board is plugged in.

Dammit...

clovis CA

i dont think it has to do with the frequency at all. possibly a dirty cart connector or something silly. can you test a different game besides tetris thats not on the EMS cart? also, after modding about 40 back PCB's about 3-5 of them were sour to start of with, there may be a possibility that the back pcb could be bad =/

canada

this is cool me and all friends of me think it is cool

LA:CA

So after this all made what color schemes do you envision it to be?