Abandoned on Fire

Coming back to this with a couple relevant thoughts:

I've been noticing how often the phrase "the music on this site" is used in a dismissive or derogatory way.  I tend to do it too.

I want to suggest that rather than keeping a limited version of the current music section, just scrap it altogether and start over with a completely different and curated system.  Possibly even something as totalitarian as micromusic.net had (has?).

Let's have a fresh start and change what "the music on this site" means.

EDIT:  I volunteer to help curate.  I've got time.

Last edited by egr (Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm)

As music is very subjective I worry about 3rd party selection. I think letting the artist decide their best tracks is probably the most sensible option. 5 is very generous. I think the 3 best would cover it.

I have no music on here precisely BECAUSE I want to make sure the stuff I put up is of quality. I mean look at the list of users. But maybe I'm overly critical.

Philthydelphia
9H05T wrote:

As music is very subjective I worry about 3rd party selection. I think letting the artist decide their best tracks is probably the most sensible option. 5 is very generous. I think the 3 best would cover it.

I have no music on here precisely BECAUSE I want to make sure the stuff I put up is of quality. I mean look at the list of users. But maybe I'm overly critical.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you may be overly critical of a song doesn't mean there isn't an audience that would truly enjoy it. I admit I, myself, have questioned bringing out tracks on all mediums and receiving great reception a number of times even though there's moments where I feel the need to change things in a song.

As a musician, our songs are never quite finished, and we'll always find something new to do with them, much like an artist and his works. It's how we present them in the end that matters to the audience. I personally thank An0va for giving me that advice before when I was first getting into writing chip music.

That being said, this is a fantastic idea for the site. Even as a new member to the CM.org community, I have some deep roots now with the Philadelphia chip scene and personally, I feel this move to limit the amount of songs stored here is a great idea! smile Soundcloud integration is great but it limits what file types you can upload. Should someone want to upload nsf or a number of other native file types, they're SOL. Just my two cents.

Gosford, Australia

maybe have a storage limit for non-mp3 file types? would 1.44MB cover it? tongue

Maine

^ i like that idea better then a limited number of songs hmm

NC in the US of America
trash80 wrote:
egr wrote:

Or maybe just a "disk space max" for each user so if you were uploading mods or sids you could have a lot but rendered tracks would use up your quota really fast.  Might encourage more source sharing?

But it would be nice to have mp3s for the music players... Reminds me that I want the ability to attach a source mod / sid / whatever to a mp3 post.

That's funny, because I wanted to attach an mp3 link to my source .ahx that I uploaded some days ago. I pasted the link into the description, but it's not clickable. It'd be kind of cool if bbcode could be used song descriptions. That way we could utilize the [mp3*] (or was it [music?]) tag for files stored off-site, and upload modules for playback on this site. Eh... I guess that idea has many flaws and holes, though.

I personally prefer the idea of a storage limit over a track limit. A person could get around the system and upload a single long mp3 with a whole set of songs if they wanted to. Plus, I'd like to be able to upload a bunch of modules since they don't take up as much storage space. But we don't have players for most of the supported modules, so it'd be useless...

Plymouth, UK
trash80 wrote:
xX 8 BIT CHAMPION Xx wrote:

people can use ucollective.org for storage?

Sure? Or any of the free services out there. Though I suspect ucollective will end up having the same issues when the data size is too large for cheap services- or when the cheaper services bottleneck.

Just saw this on my monthly cm.o visit smile

I'm actually going to do incremental backups. Select tracks by date from the database and backup those uploaded in the specified timeframe.

I have unlimited storage at a fixed price, so I'm not worried about running out of space, but I do want to move to S3 and buy a small dedicated because at the moment I have jailed shell access (which royally sucks).

Anyway, might be something to think about Mr 80.

-Sam

Last edited by 2xAA (May 15, 2013 3:31 pm)

Douglas, Wyoming

Eh, at least it will give me a reason to slim down my "discography" been meaning to do that actually..