The Wild Wintery North

Hey Guys,

I've been writing this song and I finished it. I think it's pretty good myself, and the few people I've shown it to think that it's pretty good, but I just want to know if anything sounds out of place, missing or if it sounds like there's too much of it. Does that make sense? Thank you.
Here is my song.

Sweden

Hey, you've got a lot to work on, but don't let that put you off! As a general tip, what people say that they think about your music isn't necessarily what they actually think. Not-too-close friends and family will want to put their critique nicely, but sadly, sometimes in a way that will obfuscate their true opinion. They will do this either deliberately or subconsciously, but most likely with the best of intentions. A friend might as well say that your song is "pretty nice" if they dislike it or if they are not sure how to constructively phrase their critique. When asking people for critique (and when you are honestly looking for actual critique), stress the fact that you want an honest opinion and call people out on their bullshit if you notice that they are weaselling out of it smile. I've found that asking people who have no problem being blunt is the best strategy.

For the song itself, it's very repetitive but quite melodically oriented, which I don't think is a good combination (it gets annoying). It seems like you could spend a lot more time on the melody.

Montreal, Canada

Cons:
- I had to count beats to know where I was in the song, there's no "resolution" back to beat 1. At first the kick is placed on beat 1, but around 1:30 you push it further down the measure and it messes everything up
- Percussions a little lackluster. I don't really like the repeating low noise going tshhh tshhh tshhh at 0:35. Maybe if it was higher/smoother and more like a hihat like you do around 0:50.
- The melody and harmony don't fit any scale. Since there's no clear scale, there's no root note, so there's no resolution back to the home chord. You will have to give the listener this feeling of resolution somehow otherwise it's easy to get lost.
- It's very repetitive.

Pros:
- Arpeggio on 2nd and 4th beat is always good. It's a classic used in many styles of music and will support your snare.
- There's a structure, with attempts at making parts sound different.

Overall:
I think it needs a lot of work but as boomlinde said, don't let that put you off. If you're new to music in general, the pentatonic scale is a good place to start to make music that sounds good without having to understand too much theory. And if you want to learn more theory, there's a great little website that covers the basics pretty well.