California, USA

Does anybody have any ideas for setting up automated/randomly generated visuals to play behind a live set? The idea being you wouldn't have to have somebody to focus on running live visuals.

IL, US

there are a bunch of old pieces of software for dos/win/mac on www.audiovisualizers.com that work well for this.. cthuga, for example, reacts to whatever is running through your soundcard, so a line signal from the mixer into a laptop/pc hooked to the projector and you're set

clovis CA

my fav is glitchnes, maybe program an arduino "controller" to send random button presses. i think i found my new project =]

If you have some software that can route midi info or osc to keypresses (like controllermate for example) you can just make a puredata (or max... or...) patch that automates some keypresses quite easily.

I would look into Modul8 since it's so simple to get it to do stuff that looks nice with audio and bla bla. Kind of boring to work with though.
There might be some processing scripts you can run, or you can learn how to write visuals of your own, processing is pretty simple.

I programmed this for the GBA to display somewhat random patterns. But that was very time consuming and (for me) hard.

Also, a friend of mine use old video mixers which he feedbacks with their own videosignal. Looks really good and you might be lucky enough to find a mixer from the 80s for cheap.

Last edited by _-_- (Mar 17, 2013 8:35 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Also the Vblank visualisers are pretty awesome if you can find one. He totally needs to do another run of those!

IL, US

for what its worth, video feedback wouldnt be automated in most situations.. usually if you leave the same settings for any length of time, it turns to crap or doesnt change beyond flashing