Los Angeles, CA

there's always been an issue with people starting stupid threads here, and it seems a lot of them are new members. so why not make it so that you must have a minimum number of posts before you can start a thread? 50 is a good number. it encourages new members to join in with current conversation, cuts down on Saskrotch having to pop in with links to searches that should've been done, and also cuts down on the number of stupid threads being sent to the graveyard. just a thought.

You have gone mad

SLC, UT

Santa Cruz, California

I don't know about that... my first 50 posts were fuckin' epic!

TSSBAY01

saskrotch doesnt need to pop in anything. dude's attitude towards the newer guys and honestly his attitude in his response in most threads is a big detractor to the stickyness of the board in general. there should be a board feature where he has to post a 4-5 sentence paragraph or it wont let him post

Brunswick, GA USA

I thought that said 50 post limit at first!

I think this idea was suggested already but not implemented; I think it will lead to necro threads.

Mishawaka, IN

Or just go all out and have new topics approved.

Sweeeeeeden

I've had similar ideas. But instead of stopping people from posting, there would be a small banner at the top of the page informing about the search function and other useful things, until you reach x posts. Thoughts?

The Hollow Earth

I could get behind this. Many discussion boards have a similar rule or you can't post in certain areas, i.e.-you can't post new releases at idmforums.com until you have at least 5 posts (or something like that), but 50 posts could be a bit excessive. It might encourage a new user to just spam the CC or Release forums, make a one-word post in every thread like "Cool!" or something just to get their first 50. Public forums are always going to have problems and creating ridiculously strict rules is not necessarily going to make them go away.

Murcia, Spain

I think nitro's suggestion is much more fair than making new people post on pre-made threads by someone else, mainly because if they can't ask their own questions, they won't be able to participate in most threads...

Los Angeles, CA

I've had similar ideas. But instead of stopping people from posting, there would be a small banner at the top of the page informing about the search function and other useful things, until you reach x posts. Thoughts?

That's a good idea too, but I have no faith in people and thus I'm skeptical that the majority would pay attention to any banner telling them how to use a completely obvious and not at all hidden search function. It certainly couldn't hurt, though.

50 posts could be a bit excessive. It might encourage a new user to just spam the CC or Release forums, make a one-word post in every thread like "Cool!" or something just to get their first 50. Public forums are always going to have problems and creating ridiculously strict rules is not necessarily going to make them go away.

50 was just a suggestion, 25 would probably be more realistic. This kind of rule cuts down on the kind of person who would simply pop in to promote some shitty release they threw together a week after learning LSDJ, or to ask where they can buy LSDJ, and instead it promotes the idea of people joining the community and participating in threads. If people spammed to raise their post count, someone could hit the report button and that person could be dealt with. I doubt it would be a widespread problem, seems like a lot more work than just using the search function.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Instead of a small banner it should a medium to large banner that is hard to miss.  And/or there should be a window that pops up when the cursor is over the "Post New Thread" button that says something like "Are you sure you aren't forgetting to use the amazingly useful SEARCH feature?"

Sweeeeeeden
Wizwars wrote:

That's a good idea too, but I have no faith in people and thus I'm skeptical that the majority would pay attention to any banner telling them how to use a completely obvious and not at all hidden search function. It certainly couldn't hurt, though.

Well, to this point, another similar idea I have is to compile FAQ posts with links to various common questions, and include those in said banners as well. For example, if you were about to post in the Nintendo handhelds forum (and had less than x posts) a link to the FAQ post would be visible there.

SLC, UT

My problem is that search isn't very smart. Usually when I search I just use Google and search my topic and then just throw chipmusic.org on the end.

I think when a new topic is posted by someone new (under 50 posts) it should automatically search the forum for them and tell them to research the top hits. They can still just skip to posting but if the question has clearly already been asked and answered then a mood could ban them from pasting new topics for a time (a week?). Rules +accountability = happiness.

Alternatively, an entire sub forum for noon questions on general could be created. Sometimes I ask questions I know are considered "noob" but I am in reality new and just learning. This was especially helpful on the Ubuntu forums when just starting out. You could even make sascrotch a mod of that forum. He's not just a heartless jerk, I think he really tries to help. Rarely do I see him post blatant insults, usually those are posted in response to his help.

Sascrotch is a good guy.

TSSBAY01

if something like this is considering being employed i think a 'delete account' button in your profile settings would also be great suggestion

Tokyo, Japan

Why?