London

Since many of you are on holiday, and the general feeling of solidarity between us on this important day, I have decided its a good time to publicly release a new version of my Atari tracker maxYMiser.

The place to go for v1.33 is here: http://preromanbritain.com/maxymiser/download.html

There are a few smaller bug fixes and improvements, but the main feature is that its possible to use the two STe channels as MIDI note output for sequencing external synths and equipment. This works on all ST, not just STe. If your synth supports legato mode for generating slides, this will work too.

For now, the best way to support maxYMiser is to join the mailing list. It's not for discussions, since I know people don't like spam, but you will get some early and exclusive versions: maxymiser-subscribe at preromanbritain dot com

England

Victory to the miners!

Joliette, QC, Canada

SICK !!! big_smile

Tokyo, Japan

Fuck me I want an ST

Unsubscribe

Smash the state.

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec

CHIP'S NOT DEAD

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The MIDI output feature is one that I will absolutely use! Thanks so much for the work put in.

Tokyo, Japan

Hmmmmm, from the ML

"Changed interface for MIDI out on STe DMA   channels     (STu / Dropdabomb request)"

I wonder what STu is upto......

London
Lazerbeat wrote:

Hmmmmm, from the ML

"Changed interface for MIDI out on STe DMA   channels     (STu / Dropdabomb request)"

I wonder what STu is upto......

As far as I know he is still using Musicmon except from some small experiments in maxYMiser. We discussed the idea over a couple of beers last summer. I don't expect a sudden STu maxYMiser+synth release or anything.

edit: but it would be cool if he did use it, I would be interested to hear the results. And in fact I would like to hear the results of Jeff's or anyone elses work with the new feature!

Last edited by gwEm (May 1, 2013 2:51 pm)

Unsubscribe

So its an either/or thing? If you use midi you loose the dma? Or can you run both in parallel?

London

thanks for asking that, its question that i thought about alot during coding this.

short answer is: yes, its an either/or thing. if you use midi you lose the DMA, but you still have digidrums though for samples. supporting the various combinations of MIDI/native DMA/tuned DMA for the two channels would be rather complex.

the long answer is more philosophical: as i'm sure you appreciate maxYMiser is designed as a YM tracker primarily. as a result I've made several design choices considering the Atari hardware. there are other trackers that do the midi job well since they were designed for that (OctaMed etc) but would be pretty bad at tracking YM2149. restrictions in the atari hardware include memory, processor speed, programming language, number of channels provided by the soundchips, screen resolution and the number of hardware timers.

in the past i always refused requests to do midi out since the plan is not to make maxYMIser a full blown MIDI tracker - it would always suck at that. but on the other hand if you want to add an acid line or synth lead to your chiptrack this is now possible. hopefully it should be just the thing to add a little extra flavour to your tracks. also, if you have a plain ST, with no DMA, you can now get some milage out of those extra channels that were useless before.

its a compliment I guess that people like maxYMiser and Atari, find the combination smooth to use and want to do more stuff with the setup.

Milwaukee, WI

This is wonderful news!  My STe is split open on the workbench, but I really hope to get a lot of mileage out of this.  Thank you!

Solar System

Yes! Honour the work!