Chicago IL

Okay, so I'm trying to run little-scales SMSM on my Japanese SMS. I've got an Everdrive and an SMS gender adapter, but since the OSv6 that works with the gender adapter is incomplete (and was kind of hard to find), I'm trying to make a cart just for the SMSM rom. I've had troubles running it through the Everdrive (some CC commands seem to overwrite other CC commands / trigger weird effects on other channels)

I've got a donor cart (Pro Baseball Gold Cartridge). Took out the MPR-11127 chip, put in a 28-pin socket (cause I knew I'd be messing up with the EPROM programming), etc all of that. I just can't get the files to work though. It brings up a blank, black screen, doesn't go to the BIOS screen. It did once, but hasn't since.

I've got some 27C256's, which little-scale told me would definitely work. I also tried programming an SMS game to one of them and putting it in the board for Great Basketball (non-japanese cart) and tried that through the gender adapter, and got the same results.

So basically that was a long winded way of saying that I probably have no idea how to use my EPROM programmer, and can someone walk me through it?

I have a TOP853 universal programmer, USB style, and it runs with TopWin6.

Things I may be doing wrong:

1) When I select the chip from the tree, I always do general->27C256, because these chips aren't produced by any company that comes up on the list (most are ST brand M27C256B, one just has a big S on it labeled 27C256)

2) I just import the .SMS to the data buffer. I'm not sure if I need to convert the file to another format

3) I'm not really sure what to do with any of the other settings. They come up as the following:

* signifies the setting i've been using

Unlabeled drop down->
.BIN binary (*)
.HEX Intel hex
.JED GAL jedec
.CDS Elan binary
.MHX micon hes
.SVF test ascii
.S motorola

Another unlabeled drop down->
Normal (*)
Continuous
Event (1st of 2) (just realized this is a typo for even)
Odd (2nd of 2)
1st byte of 4
2nd byte of 4
3rd byte of 4
4th byte of 4

Fill Mode->
No Clear
Fill by '00'
Fill by 'FF' (*)

and Buffer start (HEX): 00000 (never touched this)

Things I'm pretty sure I'm doing right:

all the chips are definitely blank when I write to them

the writing process doesn't produce any errors.

I think that's everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried reading the file back and checking for accuracy? Also you usually need a higher voltage than USB to properly program EPROMs. Is there a spot on the board for external PSU?

Chicago IL

Yeah I verify it and it comes out fine. It's USB only, it's a newer type of eprom programmer I guess?

Chicago IL

Okay, so for some reason, I tried it again, doing exactly the same stuff as before, and it worked this time. I flipped the chip around (always seemed like the side with the indent goes on the left in other boards), but I've also tried this a bunch before just to be sure. Don't know why this time is different.

Problems I was having are still remaining though, so I guess I'm gonna re-build the arduino portion of it.