Hi there.

I've been doing a lot of writing on 2xlsdj lately, and the thing that's always bothering me is the need of a mixer to hear both at the same time. Now I do have a mixer.. But it's huge and it needs a lot of wires etc. so I want to build a small passive mixer, just to combine the two outputs for my headphones.

It doesn't have to be the best audio quality, I just want to hear the two together where ever I might be sitting. Quite useful for on the train etc. when I need to finish the track I'll hook it up to my bigger mixer for fine tuning etc.

Anyway, i found this page:
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/audio-mixing.htm#s2

Which gives me a lot of info. The basic idea is just fine for me...

Would this work on 2 gameboys? I can't really make up from the text if this is for line level mixing, or headphone. Or doesn't that really matter?

I've got some TL072 left from another build, so I can make a stereo mixer, just wanted to see if anyone has some tips, tried this before, etc. smile

Chicago IL

I'm in the same boat, this is the mixer I've got

way too big

Haha, yeah, mine is a really cool mixer from the 70's. even has a build in tape-echo. Which is awesome. But the thing weighs a ton...

Chicago IL

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to be taking this to a show. I've been thinking of building a mixer with my friend CCDM, if we get to it I'll try to put whatever I can in here to help.

Saskrotch wrote:

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to be taking this to a show. I've been thinking of building a mixer with my friend CCDM, if we get to it I'll try to put whatever I can in here to help.

Cool.
I still want a small portable active mixer tho, for shows or whatever. But for now I just want something simple to just mix 2 signals on my headphone smile

sweden

Depending on the impedance of your headphones you might want to consider a headphone amp.

NC in the US of America

Hm. There's a small two-mic pre-amp thingy at my local pawnshop. It probably doesn't do exactly what you're wanting, though. I'm going to have to take a look at it later. Reading this thread, it seems like it could be a useful thing.

I'm imagining that if one of those pocket-pod type mini guitar amp things had two stereo inputs, it would be perfect for this type of thing.

You know, it'd be kind of cool if somebody could mod an audio input jack to a DMG so you could hook your second DMG into it and get the sound of both through the main DMG's headphones jack/speaker.

A friend of mine drew me up some schematics for this exact thing once that would fit in a small project box.  Literally was going to be a mini passive DJ mixer.  Was going to have two volume pots and a crossfader.  I lost the schematics right after ordering the parts.  I have all the parts but never asked for another schematic.  That was 2 years ago.

Alive and well in fucksville

why not get a tascam guitar trainer, headphone splitter and a mono (male) guitar to stereo HEADPHONE (FEMALE) adapter? you would loose stereo but who cares you have a load of effects to play with.

Last edited by bitjacker (May 8, 2013 2:57 am)

Put three jacks into a box.
Connect 2 of the jacks to the 3rd with diodes (or resistors) on the signal.

› Show Spoiler

Here's a thing to slightly demonstrate what I mean.
You can use resistive mixing too, 33kΩ ones would work fine.

EDIT:

Last edited by MooseHead (May 8, 2013 7:34 am)

clovis CA

i did something similar, just use some 1k resistors and connected them all together to the out, worked fine smile

Last edited by Alley Beach (May 8, 2013 7:46 am)

bitjacker wrote:

why not get a tascam guitar trainer, headphone splitter and a mono (male) guitar to stereo HEADPHONE (FEMALE) adapter? you would loose stereo but who cares you have a load of effects to play with.

Because I'm poor tongue
I want to go getto on this one, since I probably have all the parts for a small passive mixer anyway.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll try to put something together later today. Will keep you all posted smile

Czech republic

I'd use this:

You don't really need the pots, but since it's such simple build I'd add them for more functionality you might find usefull later (fading etc.). You'd have to use a pair of dual audio pots. You might also do sort of pan control...

Boise, ID
SketchMan3 wrote:

You know, it'd be kind of cool if somebody could mod an audio input jack to a DMG so you could hook your second DMG into it and get the sound of both through the main DMG's headphones jack/speaker.

oooh, this would be brilliant!

ShintarouMusic wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

oooh, this would be brilliant!

Those mixer schematics are quite simple, so it should totally be doable...
Even a small passive mixer, when taking power from the gameboy.

Not a bad idea actually..

ashimoke wrote:

I'd use this:

Whoa, didn't know there was an article on passive mixing on BA. Awesome!