France

Hi i'm new on this forum, hello at all(sorru for my english, i'm french)
I want to know if it's possible to control a gameboy with nes controller.
I would like to make a gameboy synth in desktop format, and i need to programm on lsdj, sit in my chair .
thanks for answer
cereale

Germany

i dont know if there is an actual adapter for it, but if not you would simply need a 9 pin cable for all connections + ground of the nes controller to the gameboy. nothing too difficult if you know how to solder smile

France

I was thinking about this, thanks for confirmation, if you have another idea your welcome
cereale

matt's mind

le bouton matrices pour ces deux dispositifs sont différents, il n'est pas tout à fait aussi simple qu'un banal adaptateur comme ça. même si il ya la même quantité de boutons, ils fonctionnent différemment en interne.

the button matrixes for these two devices are different, it isn't quite as easy as a simple adapter like this.  even though there are the same amount of buttons, they operate differently internally.

matt's mind

here is the schematic for the gameboy, it shows the button layout:

in case image isn't displaying in your browser: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron … ameboy.gif

here is the button layout in a nes controller:

France

ok, thanks
is there another way to do it?

cereale

Germany

so a plain 9 pin cable is the best solution i suppose.
cereale, are you willing/skilled enough to do this on your own? if you need any help pm me smile

Pittsburgh

A few months ago, Kitsch was talking about making an adapter pcb which would do exactly what you describe. He hasn't said anything else about it lately, as far as I know, so that could mean he is in the process of making them, decided not to make them, or is about to release them tomorrow.

Here's the part of the post he mentioned it in: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1210/page/65/

Kitsch, feel free to chime in on this, I'd be interersted in this as well (-:

Edit: damn you kitsch, you read faster than I type XD

Last edited by Another Castle (Jun 10, 2013 10:32 pm)

France

I can't see the schematic of gameboy controller....

France

thank you for this information

Germany

haha, lots of ninjaing going on here big_smile
just in case i wasnt clear enough, my idea is to remove the internal electronics of the nes controller and only leave the buttons with the blank board.
then wiring the 9 pins to a custom adapter on the gameboy, which leads to the gameboys corresponding buttons.

matt's mind

yeah, still working on that, didn't want to mention it so not to derail the thread wink  but, yeah, this summer.  that feature has been swallowed up by a larger project, but thats going full steam ahead.  that whole thing started from originally thinking about doing the simple adapter pcb.  and it grew into a beast, you all will love it.

hmm.  yeah, DMG-NES (just simply that) wouldn't be too hard, i'll get all my notes out on that relevant stuff and do something super simple in the meantime.  originally the plan was DMG to nes/snes, but it grew, but doing just dmg-nes would be so much easier anyways (at least not having to add functions for the extra buttons)

so, yeah.  but, OP, in short its not a quick 1:1 connection, you need to translate one to the other.  there is no quick fix currently that i'm aware of.

matt's mind
Bamboori wrote:

haha, lots of ninjaing going on here big_smile
just in case i wasnt clear enough, my idea is to remove the internal electronics of the nes controller and only leave the buttons with the blank board.
then wiring the 9 pins to a custom adapter on the gameboy, which leads to the gameboys corresponding buttons.

yeah...  a new board housed in a nes controller would work well for this too!  thats a good idea, totally misread you earlier wink

France

It was my idea too!!! but where must i solder on the gameboy, wich points?
a picture will be nice!
pixel of love

France

you are very fast! too fast for me.....wahou!

Vancouver, Wa
kitsch wrote:

its not a quick 1:1 connection, you need to translate one to the other.

not necessarily. i've had this mod on my list for a while, haven't had time to complete one yet but its really quite simple to do.

first off, the DMG buttons are matrixed, so you actually only need a 6 pin cable no 9 like someone said above. and really, its easiest if you just re-purpose the nes's original pcb to trigger the DMG's in the same manner that the LCD daughter board does rather than designing a new pcb or *shutter* using pushbuttons. the only hard part is fitting a nes port/connector to the DMG, and even thats easy if you use a old serial port wink theres no need to translate the button presses on the controller to the DMG or anything so bulky as that.

Last edited by Burnfingers (Jun 12, 2013 5:39 am)