Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy

It seems to me there's no one that own this machine or I'm wrong? I'd like to hear something from this product, does anyone here have it?
I'd like to have a SID synth on my current set up, but I'm not able to make a Midibox or either a Sammichsid, and the real C64 hardware and programs seems to me "not comfortable", so I would like something that I can simply buy and play...
Opinions and alternative choices?
What can be my goal?
smile

Last edited by GenSek (Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am)

England

if you think the money is worth it then go for it!

i think there is a thread somewhere on here where people post fairly negative views on this product! (profiteering from open source design? sid emulation?)

personally i would rather use a tracker interface, im sure it would be a lot of fun but i cant see how such a device could control a SID and make use of all its features.

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 29, 2013 10:23 am)

Maybe-I said maybe-I have found a SammichSID, so I'd like to know much more about it before buy. Users, tell me about this baby!

Unsubscribe

The sammichsid sounds great, but is a real pain to program without a gui editor.

what's a gui editor?

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

The sammichsid sounds great, but is a real pain to program without a gui editor.

for real.. and me not wanting to bother with said editor is why i parted with mine... but they do sound wonderful

Unsubscribe

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_ed.html

Argh.... I hate this, it's not the kind of interface that make it for me, there's zero possibilities that I've got time (and brain wink) fully understand how to make it work.
I hate use computer (except for recording) when play or produce my tunes, I'm a "only hardware guy".
So, am I out with the sammich?

Last edited by GenSek (Jul 2, 2013 6:50 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

I'm a total noobie with DAWs, trying to learn Renoise ATM, but the MBSid GUI is a big plus to me. Being able to automate filter sweeps or ASDR changes as well as all the other great features of the firmware, how can you beat that?

The SammichSID was by design a 'easy to build' kit; giving up some front panel control. The beauty 'bout MIOS (firmware)  is you can build a MBSid with a full on CS, or control everything over SysEx. Just depends on how you want to work, knob twisting or mouse click'n.
EDIT- you can still get to all the prams from the CS on the Sammich, you just need to drill down through more screens/menus. The full CS has  knobs and switches for all prams, far less menu hopping.

Not sure about the other Sid boxes out there, but to me, MIOS just beats them hands-down. BUT if you need/want a sid box like yesterday, Plug'n'Play: let's start jammin'; well then I can see buying a ready made one. You really need to like DIY projects to get a MB built.

Last edited by yogi (Jul 2, 2013 7:14 pm)

Unsubscribe

Its not a seqeuncer or a way to automate anything, it just exposes the settings of the synth in a way to edit them visually as opposed to digging through menus.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
herr_prof wrote:

Its not a seqeuncer or a way to automate anything, it just exposes the settings of the synth in a way to edit them visually as opposed to digging through menus.

I had thought that being a VST you could send automation commands from the host DAW to it.  But re-thinking, you can map the MBSid's CCs in the DAW directly, so no need for the GUI, right?

Unsubscribe

Right but you need a daw to do that.

And this?
http://retrocade.gadgetfactory.net/
What exactly is this thing?
Anyone knows?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Well, the Papilio is a FPGA board with an Arduino type form factor. The RetroArcade is like a Arduino shield. It mounts to the Papilio and supplies connectors and lcd I/O for the FPGA.
In the end you upload  bitstreams that set up the FPGA chip as a synth, there are IP cores (configurations of the FPGA's internal logic to recreate a hardware device) for SID, YM and Pokey I think. You can also create a totally new synth design. It's kind of like a emulation but at a transistor level, more of recreating the chips on a re-programable design platform.

Poland, Gdansk

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11096 … sid-clone/ - shameless plug

yogi wrote:

Well, the Papilio is a FPGA board with an Arduino type form factor. The RetroArcade is like a Arduino shield. It mounts to the Papilio and supplies connectors and lcd I/O for the FPGA.
In the end you upload  bitstreams that set up the FPGA chip as a synth, there are IP cores (configurations of the FPGA's internal logic to recreate a hardware device) for SID, YM and Pokey I think. You can also create a totally new synth design. It's kind of like a emulation but at a transistor level, more of recreating the chips on a re-programable design platform.

Ouch! For me (and my poor english) this is too difficult, I didn't understand...
Is this a kit?
Is it a real hardware synth that you play via midi?
The only thing that I understand is that it's an emulation, and searchin' here & there nobody seems to use it.