brooklyn, NY

Here is a little toy that I built this weekend that I think other here may like:  http://moshang.net/soundjeweler_blog/te … and-synth/
- a simple arduino based synth/sequencer controller with midi out and memory for up to 32 patterns.   The thing is jam-packed with fun features like reverse, swing, tap tempo,  transpose + and -, pattern recall on the fly...      Not too difficult of a build - just a bit more  complex than the arduinoboy.  Everything except the midi jack can be picked up at RadioShack- (dont buy everything at Radioshack.)

Last edited by Charbot (Jul 9, 2013 10:09 pm)

Mexico

Great work!

Murcia, Spain

AAAAAAA I need potentiometers and a casing NOW!
So cool!

Have you considered adding MIDI IN? Using it with a keyboard in a "synthesizer mode" would be awesome.

Also, why do you say "don't buy everything at Radioshack"? I'm just curious. I need to look for an online site where I can gather all the components, since my local electronics shop is quite undersupplied (expensive too).

First thing in my "projects to-do" list now!

EDIT: I've re-revised the breadboard schematic and I see you used the serial RX of the Arduino as a digital input pin. I suppose that if MIDI-IN was to be added, it'd have to substitute some other connection, unless one goes into multiplexing. In my case, I'd be good with substituting the MIDI-OUT with the MIDI-IN. However, I don't know if the TX pin can be used as an input as well...

Also, let me ask you a super stupid question: Where can I get matching potentiometer and potentiometer covers? The pots in radioshack are of the long kind.

Last edited by DogTag (Jul 11, 2013 10:18 am)

brooklyn, NY

for the record- I didnt create this.  just stumbled across it and am passing it along.

I say dont buy everything at RS because it is super expensive (and they have limited stuff like and you'll have to settle for  pot w/ 3" shafts.)  usually at least 3-4x what it would cost from a distributor( but then you have to order more and shipping)

Midi in was my first thought too, but every pin on the arduino is used as is.   It probably wouldnt be too hard to adapt the code to recogonize midi in ( like clock or something) but you would maybe have to give up the audio-out and re-label pin designation. Exchanging midi in for midi out is not that simple- the 'in' has to go the arduino's 'recieve'  (or RX) pin.  Midi out comes from the 'Transmit'(TX) pin  Looks like he is working on Groovsizer alpha  wth 32 steps, midi out etc. 

Yeah i hate thos long shafted pots too.  just use a dremel cut off wheel or hacksaw to cut them down.

Last edited by Charbot (Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Oh right,  I thought so : S

Well, I suppose I can always build a standard Auduino with the MIDI-IN modification and have both lol.

Thanks!

Hey there Charbot,

Thanks for sharing the Groovesizer here! Yeah, MIDI in is pretty much a no-go since I maxed out the ins and outs of the Arduino. The only other option for sync really is to send MIDI clock from the Groovesizer and sync other gear to it.

It's for this and other reasons that I wanted to improve on the original and and fabricate a PCB for it. The second (hopefully final) PCB design of the new Groovesizer is on its way from the factory right now, so I'm pretty excited. You can read about my progress on the new one at http://groovesizer.com - but basically it'll be a 32-step sequencer (40 buttons and LEDs & 6 potentiometers). The idea is to use the same harware design with a number of different firmwares. There's video up of the Alpha firmware at the link.

I hope to have kits available in September (pcb and all components) for around USD100.

Murcia, Spain

Very stupid question again:

Are the buttons supposed to be the "open unless pressed" kind? I mean as for software (I won't have to go through the code and change everything xD)

To be more precise:
http://www.cetronic.es/sqlcommerce/dise … amp;cPath=

Last edited by DogTag (Jul 12, 2013 4:15 pm)

That's right - open unless pressed.

Murcia, Spain
MoShang wrote:

That's right - open unless pressed.

Thank you so much.

I'm about to order the stuff. I'll come back with any progress : ) OR with the resullt!

This looks incredibly fun to play around with, thinking about building one myself, but I (still) don't have any experience with building electronics. Looking at the schematics, it looks straight-forward to build, no SMD stuff or anything, are there any parts that I wouldn't be able to do?

Murcia, Spain

I think that, if you are careful and patient, this is a very good project if you don't have a lot of experience. Just plug everything and download the code to your Arduino and you're done!

Czech republic
MoShang wrote:

...The only other option for sync really is to send MIDI clock from the Groovesizer and sync other gear to it...

Or you could make another version with midi in and no midi out. And multiplexing leds / buttons / pots is always an option.

DogTag wrote:

I think that, if you are careful and patient, this is a very good project if you don't have a lot of experience. Just plug everything and download the code to your Arduino and you're done!

Thanks! If I can find all the components, I'm gonna assemble it on a breadboard and if it works, put it in a nice case and solder the connections together!

ashimoke wrote:

And multiplexing leds / buttons / pots is always an option.

That's how I ended up with the new design.

Just a heads-up that Groovesizer kits are now available at groovesizer.com. Sheet-metal enclosures will be available early in November.

Kits are once again available, and the enclosures are ready and available too. Groovesizer store