sweden

Hi!

I'm looking for some super small portable device to mix video signals. I have two Panasonic WJ-AVE5 at the moment, but they are way too big and heavy to bring, been looking at the Edirol v-4/v-8 but it's also kinda big and heavy. I don't own a car, so I need to go by public transportation and my gear is already heavy enough without bringing any video gear.

The options I've found so far is the Schele-mixer by Gijs and the Karl Klomp dirty video mixer but they aren't exactly what I'm looking for. Is there anything out there at all? Or am I out of luck? And lugging a laptop around isn't really an option.

Thanks in advance!

/ nordloef

IL, US

besides dirty video mixers, the v4/v8 is probably the smallest footprint... those time-base correction circuit either must take up a lot of space, or the guys designing video mixers have no concept of artists who bring their own gear (they seem to design it assuming its being installed in a venue)

IL, US

and v4/v8 is backpack/messenger bag friendly, if you dont need to fit too much else in at the same time... i squeeze mine and the kaptivator on a pedal board, relatively compact full setup that i could take on trains/buses.. should be able to squeeze v8/laptop and some smaller devices in one backpack

Matthew Joseph Payne

I've been using an Edirol V-1 - the footprint is a bit smaller, but they're discontinued so you have to nab them on eBay or whatevz. Got mine for around $200. Has 4 inputs, with a superimpose function on input 4. pip and wipes also.

That being said, I packed it just wrong in a suitcase on a recent plane flight and it took a lot of damage. I had to replace all the knobs and the rotary switch and I'm waiting on a special order crossfader board from Japan. Having opened it up, I don't know how much smaller they could have gotten the thing, really, not without making it way more expensive.

IL, US

oh, forgot about the v1 (always off my list of possiblities, since i love keying, and it doesn't have it from what i remember)

Matthew Joseph Payne

If by "keying" you mean the superimpose feature with a key adjust knob, it has that, but it doesn't have very robust ability to select the color value.

What it really lacks is a separate monitor output.

sweden

I wasn't aware of the V-1, thanks! It's a bit lighter and slightly smaller and way cheaper.

But yeah I got my fears confirmed that the Edirols are in fact the smallest proper video mixers sad

Thanks guys!

IL, US

of course the edirols are the right choice smile... you have some panasonics already, which are nice in their own right.. i have dreams of eventually hoarding video mixers for their different feedback characteristics, but nowhere near enough space for that right now
edit: seriously, v1's are around $200 used? i could maybe spare space for one of those especially since they have MIDI

Last edited by e.s.c. (Jul 24, 2013 12:36 am)

Abandoned on Fire

You *could* just use a regular audio mixer right? Or would you lose to much detail?

IL, US

maybe, but thats essentially a dirty video mixer... without the TBC, you get hold issues, as the video feeds don't sync properly.. interesting in its own right, but limited

Tokyo, Japan

Tried the korg krossfour very very basic 4 input TBC mixer?

sweden

Another video mixer I wasn't aware of! Thanks! smile

And a bit lighter and smaller than the V-1!

SLC, UT

Off topic, and this may be the stupidest thing I've ever said, but would just making a little box with two rca video inputes that combine together through a potentiometer and output to one rca work at all? The idea being that you could crossfade through video the same way you would through audio and get crazy weird signals. Or would that just explode my tv?

IL, US

thats a "dirty video mixer" ...see above

Tokyo, Japan
stargazer wrote:

Off topic, and this may be the stupidest thing I've ever said, but would just making a little box with two rca video inputes that combine together through a potentiometer and output to one rca work at all? The idea being that you could crossfade through video the same way you would through audio and get crazy weird signals. Or would that just explode my tv?

Yeah, its a dirty mixer lacking a TBC (Time Base Corrector) which means that the feed you are trying to mix together won't remain stable or consistent in color. If you want to see / build a really simple one google "karl klomp, dirty video mixer". I built one and while it is fun, some of the projectors I tried to use it with would just bluescreen in the middle of the "fade"

SLC, UT

Thanks guys. I'm so glad I'm not a total moron. It just seems like a super easy/cheap build. It would be fun to just mess around and see what kind of results you could get.