So I wrote a track out of boredom about 3 months ago and just never did anything with it. Just a fun little pop punk style song. I had it uploaded to youtube. Figured I would post it to see what you guys think.
Still trying to get the hang of this whole 8-bit thing but I think it's definitely coming along from where I originally was at the beginning of the year.
Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWi8-brDcI

I personally feel the breakdown seems a little forced but I wanted to see what I could do haha. So any suggestions on that would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance for the listen guys!

SLC, UT

UFC Br0

stargazer wrote:

UFC Br0

I know I know. I like MMA and therefore I am by default a douche bag.
Thanks for the input.

Florida

Overall it was pretty plain and at times monotonous. Work on your melodies and song structure, and throw in some different instruments. I get it, it's "8-bit" but there are tons of 8-bit sounds. I only heard, like, 3. On a side note I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes breakdowns in my pop-punk ;D

SLC, UT

Well at least I listened to it. And really, it wasn't very good. I'm not a perfect musician myself. It sounded like you just hit record and just played around on the keyboard for your melody. The breakdown was pretty bad too. I just listened to it again. It's bad.

Taichung, Taiwan

I like it!

Keep working on your style!

Keep making music you want to listen to and eventually you will better your skill at using LSDj.

Keep releasing music!!!

Madriz, Supain

Take this as constructive criticism: it sounds flat. I dont hear any "guitar" or "bass" or lead, it just sounds like random 8bit instruments playing a song. Also, the drums are way in the background, you need cool drums in anything -punk.

I cant criticise in the songwriting skills because the only punkpop I like is powerpop.

SLC, UT

Is this made with lsdj? With the other songs on his channel I assumed it was fl studio.

It sounds like fakebit, which leaves tons of options for expanding your sound. Like most people here have said, the instrumentation is lacking. Chipmusic can be "simple" but it needs depth. Making different drum instruments, modulating pulse widths, triangle basses, sine or saw basses, all of those thing combined with simple vibrato, pitch bends, and legato, makes a world of difference. Give it a shot smile

Gosford, Australia

learn about chords and harmony and stuff, cause this is just random sounding melodies slapped on top of each other with no thought to the underlying chord progression (which at the moment is completely undiscernable)

i wasn't able to make it as far as the breakdown but judging by the sounds used in the first 40 seconds it probably would've been super weak and i wouldn't have thrown down to it at all. how much pop punk do you actually listen to? maybe make some covers first just to get a solud understanding of the musical tropes and techniques that pop punk bands use (you dont need to put the covers on the internet though)

Thanks for the input guys (to the ones who weren't being dicks about it anyways). I'll definitely make use of all of your suggestions and actually get some practice in before uploading anymore.
Thanks for the listens.

Florida

I was thinking about this earlier. Give this a listen. http://kill3rwhale.bandcamp.com/track/s … not-really

Its not exactly pop-punk but it has that vibe. There is even a breakdown-ish part in it. It might give you some ideas.

Gosford, Australia

^ essential "chip pop punk" listening
hopefully my next release will fall under the same category!

Madriz, Supain
T3rrorByte wrote:

to the ones who weren't being dicks about it anyways

Frankly, you had the best response i've seen in cm.org for this kind of "stuff".

Boy Without Batteries wrote:

I was thinking about this earlier. Give this a listen. http://kill3rwhale.bandcamp.com/track/s … not-really

Its not exactly pop-punk but it has that vibe. There is even a breakdown-ish part in it. It might give you some ideas.

Those guys are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

NC in the US of America

OP: Literally no advice/criticism/comments in this thread deserves harsh criticism such as you have underhandedly given.This is literally the best thread of this type I've ever seen on chipmusic.org so far. I'm shocked and apalled yikes But yeah as katsumbhong said make music that you want to hear and you will have no regrets. Of course, for most that is easier said than done. Listen to yourself with a critical ear.

Anywho... From a sound-design standpoint, this is one of the issues with newcomers trying to produce chiptune using modern DAWS: It tends to focus on the "limitations" of chipmusic, whereas chipmusic produced in actual chipmusic formats and platforms (tracker modules, C64, Gameboy, NES, AHX, ZXSpectrum, etc) focuses on exploiting and getting around those limitations. So "REAL" Gameboy music that has had a lot of work put into it will end up sounding more technically advanced than someone who says "hey I want to make sounds like Super Punkio in a DAWTree" and just uses basic bleeps and bloops in a super advanced program like FLStudio or Reason or even Renoise or Sunvox. If you really want to produce a chiptune sound that appeals to chiptuners then you have to listen to chiptune and check out the fancy stuff they do with their sound design and use or lose whatever you like or don't like.

If you don't want to do that then do whatever, haha. I know of a couple people who might dig this kind off thing.

Edit; Pardon the tone of my first paragraph it was very tongue-in-cheek meant to be mostly playful... :T

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm)