GNV / FL / USA

I didn't watch the video, but there is no reason why you need an on/off switch that I could think of!

San Francisco
NO CARRIER wrote:

I didn't watch the video, but there is no reason why you need an on/off switch that I could think of!

maybe to prevent extra noise? my Expansion mod makes some nasty buzz and wine when it isnt in use. As soon as i load a nsf it clears up but during the menu screen its pretty nasty. when i unplug the wire the sound goes away... i dont know.

rochester, ny
wedanced wrote:
NO CARRIER wrote:

maybe to prevent extra noise? my Expansion mod makes some nasty buzz and wine when it isnt in use. As soon as i load a nsf it clears up but during the menu screen its pretty nasty. when i unplug the wire the sound goes away... i dont know.

i think i'll do the mod without the switch and then if i notice that noise, i might install it afterwards. good to know though!

rochester, ny

just did the mod and installed the right nsf playback stuff. expansions sounds activated!

this seriously sounds so great. such an easy little mod but with such big results.

quick question though... if i wanted a separate output for JUST the expansion sounds, which pin would i connect my audio jack to, 3 or 9? which is the out and which is the in?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
nickmaynard wrote:

just did the mod and installed the right nsf playback stuff. expansions sounds activated!

this seriously sounds so great. such an easy little mod but with such big results.

quick question though... if i wanted a separate output for JUST the expansion sounds, which pin would i connect my audio jack to, 3 or 9? which is the out and which is the in?

While I may not be too helpful here - and I'm sure someone will give you the answer soon enough - but it would be easy enough to just try one and then the other.  Using an alligator clip or something would make it pretty simple.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jul 31, 2010 9:07 pm)

rochester, ny
jefftheworld wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

While I may not be too helpful here - and I'm sure someone will give you the answer soon enough - but it would be easy enough to just try one and then the other.  Using an alligator clip or something would make it pretty simple.

good call. it was pin 9.

initially, i had grounded it incorrectly, so whenever i plugged anything in to the output jack, it would turn off the NES. fixed that and then it worked but it was WAY quiet. i got rid of the resistor and now the channel is as loud as the others.

i didn't realize i wouldn't need the resistor if i was making it a separate output.

anyways, i love it. i'm so pumped.

GNV / FL / USA
nickmaynard wrote:

anyways, i love it. i'm so pumped.

Cool, man!

Now, load up Gimmick (Japanese version) and listen to one of the best Famicom soundtracks of all time! It uses the FME-07.

Hold Select and then press Start (on title screen) for a sound test, too.

rochester, ny
wedanced wrote:
NO CARRIER wrote:

yep, i've got this noise too. i might install a three way switch though, to turn the mod on and off, just like in that video, and then to use the independent jack i installed.

GNV / FL / USA

Sorry about that! I don't have the noise on mine. It may be because I modded my x|k prosound NES, which has a separate power supply and other measures to prevent that shit to begin with..

killadelphia

i actually installed a pot on mine instead of a resistor - after listening to enso's famicom, i realized how much the emulated sounds were at the wrong volume...  so i can just dial it in.  i'd rather trust my ear than some predetermined sheeot - different versions of famitracker were inaccurate too.

San Francisco
animalstyle wrote:

i actually installed a pot on mine instead of a resistor - after listening to enso's famicom, i realized how much the emulated sounds were at the wrong volume...  so i can just dial it in.  i'd rather trust my ear than some predetermined sheeot - different versions of famitracker were inaccurate too.

this is a good call. i need to get a new nes tho cus mine is becoming full with all the mods i did without properly thinking about placement.

San Francisco
NO CARRIER wrote:

Sorry about that! I don't have the noise on mine. It may be because I modded my x|k prosound NES, which has a separate power supply and other measures to prevent that shit to begin with..

i want this soooo bad. i am soooo desperate to see chris to release this.

philly

Speaking of famicom/ expansion volume levels (since I know nothing about the RF -> RCA mod), is it possible enso's modded famicom has "improper" volumes itself? Or should the mod on his system not screw that up? I was also surprised how loud the expansion was.

rochester, ny
wedanced wrote:
NO CARRIER wrote:

this hiss buzz is unbearable. is there any way to get rid of it?

i guess i might have to install a switch afterall, guh.

Minneapolis
animalstyle wrote:

BTW, expansion volume levels actually vary from Famicom to Famicom depending on mobo revision and even how clean the cart contacts are. wink

Minneapolis
nickmaynard wrote:
wedanced wrote:

this hiss buzz is unbearable. is there any way to get rid of it?

i guess i might have to install a switch afterall, guh.

Double post I guess, but...
You may well be getting some ground loop feedback from the TV. There are ways to correct this, but they're pretty involved. I'd say, try it quick with another TV perhaps and see what happens. If the buzz goes away, you know it's the TV, if not then you know it's the NES.