Just a little something I've been working on for Raspberry Pi users (including myself) - I have put together a modification for Raspbian linux that allows to user to boot directly into either Milkytracker or LittleGPTracker. Not a terribly complex thing to do (heck I managed it and I'm hardly a linux expert) but thought it might be useful enough to share, and if enough people are interested, perhaps more things can be added.

EDIT: Files removed, PM me if you are interested in this project.

Last edited by metropeak (Aug 25, 2014 4:49 pm)

Unsubscribe

Rad! Suggestions for this from my todo list on my pi

1- Have a default boot app and a menu app. So for example by default you boot into pig, but if you hold down a key (or Joystick button!) it then gives you the bootmenu. This way you can log into piggy (a different piggy version in another folder?) the tracker, or one of the cool upcoming rasppi synth projects on the fly.

I want to have some sort of rsync system setup for the pi with my NAS, so I could use the menu to do a commit/sync from the external drive. Any plans to detail how you made it for existing images? If you care to post your info on creating the menu, id love to take a crack at hacking it for my own purposes.

an aside: I actually dont run any binaries from the SD because I kept getting piggy disk corruption. What I do now is have a autoboot script that:

-mounts a flash drive
-uses aconnect to softmerge the midi output of piggy and a usb midi keyboard to the hardware midi device I use
-autoboot direct into piggy, which lives off the sd card. The flash drive contains the raspi, Windows, OSX, and caanoo binaries who all share the same project and sample lib folders on the usb stick so I can run it anywhere and have access to my projects and samples.
- When you exit piggy it issues a halt command, which unmounts everything and shuts down the chip so you can power off.

What Id love to do
- The aforementioned update script, maybe selectable from your menu
- Boot into an alternate version of the script that doesnt halt the system for when Im tweaking settings
- Have some sort of command line soundfont play so you can use the midi input for something useful
- Try running one of the command line rasppi synths along pig for the same
- try running puredata alongside piggy for dsp or midi filtering or even external midi control of the commandline?
http://puredata.info/docs/faq/commandline

Thanks for sharing man!

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Really this is sort of a proof-of-concept level to show it can be done. My ultimate goal was the boot menu to be a console based SDL app that was more visually appealing, but I'm not sure if I have the available time to do something like that.

Most of your points seem more oriented around your own personal setup, though you make a good point about automounting the USB, right now the user has to cancel out to the shell and use the mount commands which is never fun - I'm thinking that this bootmenu itself could detect when a flash drive is inserted and mount it.

Also the whole issue of MIDI is a bit difficult, I haven't done anything with that on the Pi yet, have no idea how that would work with everyone's different midi devices etc.

Last edited by metropeak (Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm)

Unsubscribe

yea i realize its me specific, but having information on how you created the menu and have the ability to set key modifiers for auto boot options i think would benefit lots of people... Maybe even have a default app that is loaded after a countdown or something would be cool. I really want to avoid having to use a keyboard with the pi when running pig if possible, and then console it to make whatever config changes.

I could also have my script exit piggy to the menu and issue the shutdown from an option there so any documentation you have on creating the menu would be useful.

Makes sense, perhaps the new menu would allow the user to specify a "default app" that launches after a few seconds.

The existing menu is in ~/chippi/startm.sh - It uses whiptail, a built in linux program for making menus like that, there is documentation here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bash_Shell … g/Whiptail

Unsubscribe

Oh thanks, will take a look!

Brighton

How about schism tracker too ?
http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/schismtracker?ck

Sure, I'll make a note!

Bristol

This is awesome, thank you!
Got LPGT running on my little Pi setup and MIDI out from a simple USB-Midi to various synths! (plug and play too)
The only problem is I don't know how to use a tracker... so I guess this will kickstart that!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've gotten bit-banged MIDI input/output working via an atmega spi slave. I don't think it's the optimal way of doing it, but it seems to work and be robust enough to handle what I'm doing with it.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you're doing anything with the GPIO, don't forget about the P5 header, it provides an additional I2C and more GPIO pins!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … sp=sharing

IL, US

would this work fine on the 9-10 wheezy build? just got a pi, going to start messing with it the next few days