Minneapolis

SO COOL. SO PUMPED!

matt's mind

ok, so this product is active,

and, PRE-ORDERS are open.

these will ship thursday or friday of next week, or asap when we get the last part (the screws).

the price change (from my original $21 estimate) is due to me forgetting i switched to a different part, thats is a better quality of what i originally used...

so, yeah.

thanks everybody!

and, PLEASE let me know if there are any questions.

documentation will be up before they ship.  but, i assure you, installation is really simple if you are familiar with the basics of backlight installation.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!

i'll start a thread re: beta development of this.  i am VERY VERY open to suggestions.  and, since i controlled the manufacturing specs of this entire thing, i can change it pretty easily if needed.

I'll do beta development in a forum thread, maybe not here, and will post a link to that thread here.

interaction makes much more sense than just e-mailing me... 

i honestly am interested in your ideas about it, and will happily adjust or change it if its a compelling reason smile

but, for now,

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!!!

hardcore, Australia

Pre-ordered.

Wheeling, WV

I like the idea that with Prop 8 overturned, I can take you away to California to get married.

I don't really want to, I just like the idea that I can.

I mean... Unless you want to...

Just kidding.

But if you really wanna...

Melbourne, Australia

Fantastic product. You really thought about what your customers needed and kept the design simple at the same time. Well done. I'll be ordering these the next time I need backlights. So long other backlights!

matt's mind

i did the mod real quick so i'd have one to show you all, and snapped some quick pics of some random colors:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitschbent … 705587521/

theoretically there are infinite colors you can set it to.  these are 8 of those.  well, 7 (took one's picture twice)

anyways.

have fun.  have a good night.

time for the girl and i to get some well-deserved rest.

heart matt

uhajdafdfdfa

fantastic smile

On the topic of RGBVA, can anyone suggest possible pros and cons to normal/inverted polarizations? Not sure which one to go for...

Also, an extremely noob question, what's the difference between NES and DMG buttons if they are interchangeable?

Melbourne, Australia

Convex as opposed to concave button surfaces is the difference. Also, IIRC LSDJ actually has an option to invert the screen now. So if you are going to be using this for LSDJ exclusively (which many people do) then get either and it wont matter.

matt's mind

also, the DMG buttons have a ribbed texture on the four tips of the d-pad, and the NES d-pad has arrows.

they fit in the exact same way, and are the exact same size, so its really whatever you want smile

and, ditto on what celsius said about the inversion stuff.

Cool, thanks for the help folks =]

Probably will just be LSDj. It's all I have used so far - Just starting out with this sort of stuff =] Got plans to learn tho!

I have another question, never having done a backlight mod before, is this a sensible one to start with or does it require the skill of someone with previous mods under their belt?

Melbourne, Australia

Do you have any soldering experience? If so, this shouldn't be too hard.

I'll say this though, lots of people will say "YEEEAAAH! Anyone with half a brain and hams for fists could do this mod" I disagree.

The soldering is VERY easy. The hard part can sometimes be (depending on the life and condition the GB was stored in) removing the film and polarising filter from the screen. It is quite easy to snap or crack the screen if you put too much pressure on it. They can be very brittle.

So just take it slowly. If you start getting anxious during the process go have a smoke break or something and then come back to it. Don't rush things.

I have witnessed things being soldered plenty of times so I reckon I can do it no trouble, it doesn't look too difficult altho I have never done it myself previously.. That part doesn't intimidate me.

LOL @ hams for fists! =]

Do I just follow a regular tutorial for backlighting supplementing this kit into the process or is there anything involved which is majorly different?

Many thanks for the help & advice being offered here folks, very much appreciated!

Last edited by Gum->drop (Aug 29, 2010 8:51 am)

Melbourne, Australia
celsius wrote:

So long other backlights!

Amen to that.

Chicago, IL USA

I was wondering what the method is for controlling the color switching? Maybe I just missed it somehwere. But do i need to install some switches to my DMG's if i wanna move ahead with one of these?

EDIT: Sort of found the answer, you mention mounting them to the case. I'm sure pics of that will be forthcoming and all. OH MAN I'M STOKED AND ALSO SAD THAT I HAVE TO GO RE-DO MY WHOLE RIG. cause these are too awesome not to have.

Last edited by NOM STAR (Aug 29, 2010 12:05 pm)