Melbourne, Australia

Okay, I know what you're thinking... "Couldn't this guy have read the how to get CC thread?" or "Couldn't he be more specific?" or "Uh-oh, here we go again..." But...
I'm relatively new to chiptune after picking up a drag 'n' derp and LSDJ, and I am just using my previous experience with electronic music, so I have a rough idea of what I'm doing, but I would just like some people who know about chiptune to listen, and offer some feedback, any thoughts at all will be accepted. I just need a rough idea. So, thank you, and please listen! big_smile
https://soundcloud.com/the_user5/im-sorry-3
https://soundcloud.com/the_user5/castle
https://soundcloud.com/the_user5/nero-m … tune-remix

BK

I think these tracks have potential (I think Castle especially is pretty catchy.) the one thing I would say you need to do is work a bit on sound design- most of your sounds appear to just be straight squarewaves. Try experimenting a bit with tables and see what kind of cool lead and bass sounds you can throw together, and then pop those into the compositions.
Another great way to learn sound design in LSDJ would be to check out other peoples' sav files and see how they're constructing their instruments. Danimal Cannon's records come with sav files,and contain a wealth of information- I recommend picking them up and examining them.

Good luck!

Alive and well in fucksville

Just stick to it. do not limit yourself to just lsdj. Try recording yourself making beats with gb electric drum, then drag lsdj back on to your cart and compose something that fits to your natural rhythm. sludgeon 2 is fun also. nanoloop and nanovoice are neat once you figure out how to sync stuff it is really cool. be sure to learn to sync things by ear for awhile before you let a silicon chip do it for you. LOOK UP BEAT MATCHING. stay away from music theory. set everything 15 cents sharp for better resonance.

Melbourne, Australia

Thank you for the feedback! big_smile Kris K, I'll look into it, thank you very much!
Bitjacker, I'm a little confused by what you mean, I know what beat matching is, having a little experience with DJ'ing, but I'm still unsure on what I need it for? I'm making everything on the gameboy, and don't really have the facilities to do much outside of just the gameboy, so recording loops isn't going to be particularly easy... But I love music theory! tongue ahaha! But thank you, I'll have a look into those roms. smile

Brooklon

Just want to second what KK Slider said. Tables will be your best friend when it comes to really adding life to your instruments. Maybe just spend some time getting comfortable with the effect commands, layering them in tables, and maybe even diving into automation in tables - allowing the instrumenta to start writing the track for you. Once youre comfortable with tables and pulse and noi channels, you can dive into the endless void of greatness that is the wav channel. Whatever you do, learn to love tables, they will bring shit to life. I

Hey, I want to say here is only they are very nice track keep it up. Also one more thing if you can use the soundcloud automator so, you will get more audience and follower at present.

Last edited by merlinriver (Oct 21, 2013 6:55 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

These are really good for beginner tracks. It's already been said, you gotta work on sound design a bit more but that's just figuring out how to use LSDJ. It's obvious you know how to write good melodies and music, so spend more time figuring out how to make interesting sounds and instruments with the program. Good job!

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks a lot guys! big_smile Yeah, I'll stick at the sound design, and hopefully get there eventually! tongue

Gosford, Australia

tassie! say hello to gentle hurst :>

Melbourne, Australia

It's the place to be wink ahaha
Gentle Hurst?

Gosford, Australia

he's a sydney chipbro who moved away a while ago.
sorry, was a super OT remark haha

Melbourne, Australia

Alright, I'll see if I can find his stuff. Good to know there are other people around!
haha off topic, yet still useful tongue

Louisville Ky

This is scary, the potential in your  "my first lsdj". ...

Melbourne, Australia

I didn't think it was good enough to be scary tongue but thank you very much! big_smile

.FILTHadelphia

I don't have any real criticism. Everyone has said what I was thinking but I wanted to say keep at it because it sounds like you have great potential.

Melbourne, Australia

Thank you very much defiantsystem, will do wink