Hello people! Firstly, let me introduce myself. My nickname (as you may/may not know from my profile) is Krydar, but I prefer to be called Kry.

I entered the chipmusic ambience a few months ago, but just over a week ago, I made my first chiptune. It's based off an unrecorded composition I did about a year ago that featured drums, two guitars and a bass. I never got to record it, so I thought 'hey, why not make a chiptune out of it?'. And so I did. Keep in mind I've done a lot of changes from the original composition, though.

So yeah, it might not sound that much 'chippy' because of the reason stated above. I used MilkyTracker, but now that I see it, most (if not all) people here use LSDJ, which I'm very unfamiliar about.

Please give some constructive criticism when you can.

http://chipmusic.org/krydar/music/still-untitled

Cheers!

NC in the US of America

1. Hey man, this place needs more diversity. XM format is more than welcome :3
2. It sounds plenty chippy to me. The only way it could be any more chippy is if it had arp commands, haha.
3. that soft arpeggio in the background would be cool if you used samples of different widths to do an LFO type effect.
4. The long notes could use some vibrato, maybe. Also some tasteful portamento and pitch bending would add a bit more "soul" to it.
5. You could vary the drum beat a bit, like do some half-time beats during the "bridge" sections. And have them "play" more naturally as if it is playing with the band rather than just being a drum machine, helping to accent some of the more emphasized notes and stuff. Also could add some cymbals.
6. You could add an extra channel of "rhythm guitar" and have it play the 5th note up from the root of the scale (root+fifth = power chord). It might end up sounding like a bit too much, but you never know. You could at least try it and see how it turns out.
7. I like it. Reminds me of the kind of stuff I'd hear in a game like "Seiklus" and "Lyle in Cube Sector"
8. This constructive criticism is from my personal viewpoint of what I like to hear in music. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 3, 2013 4:20 am)

/dev/sda2

I can't really give much constructive criticism(not so great at composition myself), but it seems SketchMan3 did a pretty good job of summing things up anyway. But I will say that I liked it; it has good potential. And there's always room for more Milkytracker!

SketchMan3 wrote:

1. Hey man, this place needs more diversity. XM format is more than welcome :3
2. It sounds plenty chippy to me. The only way it could be any more chippy is if it had arp commands, haha.
3. that soft arpeggio in the background would be cool if you used samples of different widths to do an LFO type effect.
4. The long notes could use some vibrato, maybe. Also some tasteful portamento and pitch bending would add a bit more "soul" to it.
5. You could vary the drum beat a bit, like do some half-time beats during the "bridge" sections. And have them "play" more naturally as if it is playing with the band rather than just being a drum machine, helping to accent some of the more emphasized notes and stuff. Also could add some cymbals.
6. You could add an extra channel of "rhythm guitar" and have it play the 5th note up from the root of the scale (root+fifth = power chord). It might end up sounding like a bit too much, but you never know. You could at least try it and see how it turns out.
7. I like it. Reminds me of the kind of stuff I'd hear in a game like "Seiklus" and "Lyle in Cube Sector"
8. This constructive criticism is from my personal viewpoint of what I like to hear in music. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Wow, thanks for all the tips! Greatly appreciated! I'll look into it.

datawave wrote:

I can't really give much constructive criticism(not so great at composition myself), but it seems SketchMan3 did a pretty good job of summing things up anyway. But I will say that I liked it; it has good potential. And there's always room for more Milkytracker!

Heh, thanks for passing by. smile

Glad that my first ever chiptune got positive reviews!
In other news, I just bought LSDJ and will try it out in the next few days.

Cheers!