Maine

Release Date

http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/09/hyperk … r-10-2013/

System Specs

http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron … g-classic/

Pittsburgh

I've been staring at that thing on newegg.com for weeks... Wondering whether or not I can spare enough $$$ for when it comes out...

Maine

i will break my wallet for this.. lol

BOSTON

geez, it might be worth $99 for the hardware audio interpolation alone. but shaders and 720p and 16:9 ? that's pretty sick. seems almost too good to be true.

Germany

this is what the ouja should have been.
only thing left to hope is that you can plug in a usb stick with roms and (later on) install android apps on it.

Sweden
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

hardware audio interpolation

I see no indication that the audio interpolation would be implemented in hardware. It's most likely an ARM SoC running a bunch of emulators, so besides the cartridge slots I'm not that impressed.

Maine

this guy basically says through firmware updates they will add stuff and basically in a round about way that people will be able to hack the firmware to allow access to storage and run emulators...

id like to see a firmware hack that would allow you to hook it up to a laptop or something and be able to play online multiplayer stuff

@boomlinde then dont be impressed im looking at this more from a retro gaming stand point the fact i can write music on it is a bonus..

babylon

i dont get it personally. why would someone not already emulate these systems? or lets say you collect carts, whats the benefits of playing them on a system? if its cause of the controller, wouldnt you just buy one of the cheap adapters for pc or already own one of the systems to play it? i also dont understand why collectors would want to create wear and tear for their carts when its unnecessary. ive really only had the need to keep a dreamcast and saturn around, since their emulation is still pretty wonky.
anyways i really am trying to ask, what attracts people to these kinds of retro systems.

Maine

not having to prosound mod a superboy or a nintendo.. flashy design.. my carts wont sit around and collect dust.. firmware hacking.. sweet looking controller.. that feel of guilt everytime you load a rom into an emulator on your PC

babylon
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

that feel of guilt everytime you load a rom into an emulator on your PC

i have to admit i dont know those feels.

Alive and well in fucksville

i just got a huge idea. why not make a strip of contacts that could read any cart? adjustable to fit any cart thickness or width...

Maine

damn bro.. i bet no one ever thought of that lolz jk

Michigan
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

not having to prosound mod a superboy or a nintendo.. flashy design.. my carts wont sit around and collect dust.. firmware hacking.. sweet looking controller.. that feel of guilt everytime you load a rom into an emulator on your PC

You're sitll going to have to prosound the SGB since the sound is going to be emulated.

walter b. gentle wrote:
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

that feel of guilt everytime you load a rom into an emulator on your PC

i have to admit i dont know those feels.

The feels I have are not of guilt, but of nostalgia. There is nothing more authentic than playing your childhood games on console, with a controller, In front of a TV. Yes, argue that you can map a USB game pad and hook up a video output to your TV from PC, but you are still only digitally emulating the sounds and playing with non-authentic parameters such as aspect ratio, scanlines, static and everything else that the subconscious maps memories to. I dont know about you, but I hold on to sound more than visuals.

I will point out that the gentleman who spoke in the video has no respect from me. His statements all challenged the main reasons why a person would own a console rather than emulate. Saying that they are adding filters and that playing with pixels is second to upscaling! Bastard. He has no respect for the games and feels that they illicit and wants only to benefit on the man who doesn't know how to emulate or doesn't want to. The statements that she made and his customer base conflict with each other.

I still want one, only because I believe that it will inevitably be the modder's dream. The firmware will be dumped on day one and by day two we will see emulators running of of the SD card. It is going to be great for playing all of the fan translations and ordinarily region-locked games in as close to the same parameters as playing on home console (with authentic and proprietary sound chips etc).

I look forward to it, but I dont support the companies opinions.

Maine

yea i think they should get a better dude to sales pitch this thing that guy seems like hes just doing this as a job.. i used to have a kid work for me that was like that and it drove me nuts like he could give a fuck less about what he is selling..

yea im really looking forward to it.. i also sent an email to hyperkin asking questions about repro cart and flash cart compatibility.. but im pretty sure their wont be any problems..

no one has said this but i like the way the controller looks.. i mean id have to get it in my hands to truly know if i like it but that thing is sexy

Michigan
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

yea i think they should get a better dude to sales pitch this thing that guy seems like hes just doing this as a job.. i used to have a kid work for me that was like that and it drove me nuts like he could give a fuck less about what he is selling..

yea im really looking forward to it.. i also sent an email to hyperkin asking questions about repro cart and flash cart compatibility.. but im pretty sure their wont be any problems..

no one has said this but i like the way the controller looks.. i mean id have to get it in my hands to truly know if i like it but that thing is sexy

Controller looks decent, but I am most happy about the controller ports for official ones. Sadly there is only one connector of each type. Also, the included controller is bluetooth, so you should be able to connect more than one and/or other bluetooth controllers such as the WiiMote. For that, I am excite.

UK, Leicester
Jazzmarazz wrote:

The feels I have are not of guilt, but of nostalgia. There is nothing more authentic than playing your childhood games on console, with a controller, In front of a TV. Yes, argue that you can map a USB game pad and hook up a video output to your TV from PC, but you are still only digitally emulating the sounds and playing with non-authentic parameters such as aspect ratio, scanlines, static and everything else that the subconscious maps memories to. I dont know about you, but I hold on to sound more than visuals.

alternatively, you could play them on the real console, not this one.
I'm not badmouthing it or anything, but I'm one of those fussy people who doesn't really use emulators, and much prefers the original hardware. Granted, this may be impossible in some cases, due to a number of reasons, but something like this would be a last resort for someone like me. If I have to play a game not on the hardware, I'll only emulate it on a console of the same company, e.g. emulating a SNES on a DS, or a PS1 on a PS3/P or whatever. This would feel really fake to me while playing it, I'd just know that it wasn't on the hardware it was made for, the same way that I never played that far into earthbound because I had it on an emulator on my Wii. Also, you're missing out on the quirks of the original console anyway, such as my megadrive displaying video slightly weirdly.

tl;dr I don't like it, but I hope you enjoy it if you get one