Joliette, QC, Canada

Looks really cool but I don't trust clones when I'm playing on a soundchip ! Even if they promise it will sounds great !

Minneapolis

I'm personally thinking the controller looks very cool. I might pick up the controller and forget about the console, depending on if it works with PC. The thumb stick looks like the one on the Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I love.

Maine
Jazzmarazz wrote:
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

yea i think they should get a better dude to sales pitch this thing that guy seems like hes just doing this as a job.. i used to have a kid work for me that was like that and it drove me nuts like he could give a fuck less about what he is selling..

yea im really looking forward to it.. i also sent an email to hyperkin asking questions about repro cart and flash cart compatibility.. but im pretty sure their wont be any problems..

no one has said this but i like the way the controller looks.. i mean id have to get it in my hands to truly know if i like it but that thing is sexy

Controller looks decent, but I am most happy about the controller ports for official ones. Sadly there is only one connector of each type. Also, the included controller is bluetooth, so you should be able to connect more than one and/or other bluetooth controllers such as the WiiMote. For that, I am excite.

"Along the sides of the console, are controller ports for the SNES, Genesis, and NES, totalling 6 controller ports, allowing for users to use their original controllers. Users will also be able to use any controller they desire for any system. That means, if you want use a SNES controller to play Genesis games, the RetroN 5 will allow you to do so."

so yea theres 2 of each type smile !!!

Michigan
Puke_Flytalker wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Controller looks decent, but I am most happy about the controller ports for official ones. Sadly there is only one connector of each type. Also, the included controller is bluetooth, so you should be able to connect more than one and/or other bluetooth controllers such as the WiiMote. For that, I am excite.

"Along the sides of the console, are controller ports for the SNES, Genesis, and NES, totalling 6 controller ports, allowing for users to use their original controllers. Users will also be able to use any controller they desire for any system. That means, if you want use a SNES controller to play Genesis games, the RetroN 5 will allow you to do so."

so yea theres 2 of each type smile !!!

Oh! I missed that one.:)

I've spent $100 on worse.  Curious to how it sounds more than anything, but for the money it's a must get.

Minneapolis
arfink wrote:

I'm personally thinking the controller looks very cool. I might pick up the controller and forget about the console, depending on if it works with PC. The thumb stick looks like the one on the Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I love.

I know I won't use the console, and don't care about their controller anymore. I'm making my own.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12707 … is-gp-pro/

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Well it's not for me but I can see where some would like it. I prefer flash carts on real systems but space is limited so not everything is hooked up all the time. With a all-in-one system there is more freedom to play favorites without having to dig out cables and such. This could be very appealing to younger types, along side a modern system. My kids (all over 20) have a higher expectation for picture quality and soundtracks, so the Renton enhancements would be a benefit to them.
Yogi

Maine

looks like a bunch of critical people on this site....just saiyan

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Well that could be true, but most the people here are not the target customers IMO. There are a lot here that love their old original game systems. The 5-in-one would be a convenience, just as a PC EMU is. But not a replacement.
What do I know; as working consols become harder to find, modern hardware replacements will fill the void as long as there is a demand.
Yogi smile

Minneapolis
yogi wrote:

Well that could be true, but most the people here are not the target customers IMO. There are a lot here that love their old original game systems. The 5-in-one would be a convenience, just as a PC EMU is. But not a replacement.
What do I know; as working consols become harder to find, modern hardware replacements will fill the void as long as there is a demand.
Yogi smile

There is really no conceivable reason in my mind why an emulator need be inferior to the original hardware in terms of sound. If you're willing to record your DMG with a PC, then why wouldn't you generate the audio with a PC too?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
arfink wrote:

There is really no conceivable reason in my mind why an emulator need be inferior to the original hardware in terms of sound. If you're willing to record your DMG with a PC, then why wouldn't you generate the audio with a PC too?

I really don't see a lot of distinction between the use of EMUs and orig hardware either. Within the digital domain, an emu can recreate the original logic, cycle to cycle, and recreate any quirks if that's the goal. There are a lot of good examples out there such as the dosbox OPL3 emu; very good but not quite the same as a hardware chip, but there are several Yamaha OPL chips that also sound different . If there is a demand the emu will be improved, but as time goes on, fewer of the users will have any first hand experience with the real hardware.
IMO, 'better' or 'worst' are very subjective terms. More dependent on the user's goals. For example, there are quite a few SID emus ported to uCs, AVrs Arduinos PICs. Now compared to the original 'SID' (keep in mind there are several SID versions that sound different), each hardware/firmware emu lacks some quality. But if you remove the 'SID' label and consider the firmware for it's own synth qualities, they are excellent.
  So for modern gamers that wants to do some retro gaming when they need a break form the Xbox360, Renton's got them covered. For the hacker/dev/chipmusic crowd there is also potential if the system's firmware is open sourced or hacked at some point. I can think of several ideas for a dream list.
Sorry for rattling on, Yogi

Minneapolis

Yeah, i suppose so. I guess I don't see old hardware as being more or less authentic, since usually the sound of a SID or a DMG is as much the result of loose tolerances at the time of manufacture or badly aging capacitors or on-board EMI as anything else. So it's really just different, as opposed to "real."

Unsubscribe

Yea but how many emulators truly provide a 1:1 appropriation of hardware? Also you can argue that why emulate on some machine that is capable of much more?

Minneapolis
herr_prof wrote:

Yea but how many emulators truly provide a 1:1 appropriation of hardware? Also you can argue that why emulate on some machine that is capable of much more?

Because then you only need one machine. Also, I don't want a 1:1 replica of the hardware when cartridges are involved, as they tend to be a major failure point. Alkaline batteries as a power source? I'll pass on that too. Horrible ergonomics? Skip. Terrible displays? Also skip.

Unsubscribe

You are speaking from the position of a gamer, not of someone who is interested in the artistic and programmatic aesthetics of the platform.  If you eliminate some limits, why not others? I could simply play sonic games rendered in the unity3d engine, cause its "better".

As for carts being a failure point, how many used nes, atari, and sega units do you see in the wild versus cd based systems? In 30 years, cart systems will be the only classic games systems left.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
arfink wrote:

Yeah, i suppose so. I guess I don't see old hardware as being more or less authentic, since usually the sound of a SID or a DMG is as much the result of loose tolerances at the time of manufacture or badly aging capacitors or on-board EMI as anything else. So it's really just different, as opposed to "real."

I was trying to say the same thing, just not as well as you summed it up. wink
The moment we mod the video/audio we lose the 'original'. For music, it's up to each musician to decide on the sound they want to create or recreate.
For an old fart like me, messing with the original hardware is the fun part. Voiding warranties on systems that were out of my reach back then. Just stuck in the past!
Yogi