Abandoned on Fire

Manufacturer's product page: http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/usb_mix-ps/

The USBMix from ART Pro Audio is a CLASS COMPLIANT usb audio interface and 3 channel mixer.  This means it works immediately out of the box with all Linux flavors and of course Windows, Apple, etc OS's as well.  The Linux part is a big deal, usb audio on Linux is painfully under supported due to the lack of proprietary drivers from manufacturers.

Other nice points:
*Can be used as a stand-alone mixer with the included usb wall adapter (no computer necessary)
*Tiny and portable (1.6" x 4.0" x 4.75")
*All metal case, seems very solid and durable
*Affordable!! approx $70 from most vendors!!
*Hell, at that price you could just grab one and use it as a wicked headphone amp for your gambois!

I've been using one of these for a few weeks and am utterly in love with it.  The ART USBMix replaced my Steinberg CI1 when I switched completely to Linux (finally) and discovered that the CI1 was not supported in any usable/reliable way.

If you have any specific questions about this little beauty just post them here and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Last edited by egr (Dec 5, 2013 3:40 pm)

UK

Aside from their terrible website with images that look like they were cut out in MSPaint, these guys have some pretty great gear.

Unsubscribe

Its a bummer that you can only have either or on the stereo input versus usb playback but what can you do..

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:

Its a bummer that you can only have either or on the stereo input versus usb playback but what can you do..

You can have both at the same time, they just describe that feature in weird way. The switch is more like "USB playback on/off". When "on" the knob for the stereo channel affects both USB and stereo input.

So you could have, for example, a drum machine plugged into the stereo channel AND USB audio from piggy on your computer both going to the main outs and headphone simultaneously.

*edited for clarity

Last edited by egr (Dec 4, 2013 5:06 pm)

Unsubscribe

that is weird! But interestttting

Was thinking of getting one of these, but I didn't see any drivers for mac so I passed and got this one.
Also can be used by itself.

Last edited by DESUMATE (Dec 5, 2013 1:48 am)

Taichung, Taiwan
DESUMATE wrote:

Was thinking of getting one of these, but I didn't see any drivers for mac so I passed and got this one.
Also can be used by itself.

Both mixers look awesome, but I think I'd personally go with this one myself. I like the addition of the equalizers for each of the two channels.

ohio gozaimasu

Sick! I've been looking for a good usb interface and it looks like this might do the trick

katsumbhong wrote:

Both mixers look awesome, but I think I'd personally go with this one myself. I like the addition of the equalizers for each of the two channels.

I'd recommend it.

vancouver, canada

i was actually considering getting the usbmix, but i've had people express concern to me that pretty much all devices that act as both an interface and a mixer end up doing a poor job at either.  nice to know that it's at good enough for general use.

i just wish they had a version with double the inputs.  i'd be all over that for sure.

Unsubscribe
DESUMATE wrote:

Was thinking of getting one of these, but I didn't see any drivers for mac

Class compliant means it will work on all major os, OSX included.

herr_prof wrote:
DESUMATE wrote:

Was thinking of getting one of these, but I didn't see any drivers for mac

Class compliant means it will work on all major os, OSX included.

I remember when reading the specs I didn't see it.
w/e I'm happy with my purchase.

Unsubscribe

Oh yea the two products very comparable, just clearing the class air.

Abandoned on Fire

Yeah, not needing drivers at all for the usbmix is what I was trying to emphasize. That xenyx looks really nice tho!

I bought the ART USBmix but can't get the configuration with my guitar right. Problem is that the interface seems to send the guitar (from guitarix or other..) back and creates a feedback loop. I tried everything that I can think of, but I am not an expert on Linux audio, ... far from that. Fiddled around with Jack, Pulseaudio, etc. but all I get is feedback or no sound at all.

Can you explain how you have set up your USBmix?

I use Ubunty Studio on a HP EliteBook 2560p with my headphones on the USBmix, guitar in CH1, USB playback assign button pressed.

Kind regards, Bas

Medina, Ohio
basskwee wrote:

I bought the ART USBmix but can't get the configuration with my guitar right. Problem is that the interface seems to send the guitar (from guitarix or other..) back and creates a feedback loop.

I have the same issue.

I've had problems with that unit trying to record while using it to monitor at the same time. It seems to use the same data channel or something. For me, I record live instrumentation on top of tracks a lot so for that reason, I don't dig it. But it does work with linux right out of the box [I use Debian x64].

I use a Digidesign MBox Mini 2.

PS. The link to the product in the main post is broken

Last edited by dsv101 (Mar 13, 2017 4:45 am)