Hate bumpin' this old thread, but I thought I would ask if anyone had trouble backing up and restoring .sav's for PR8 in particular.  I saw Yogi's post about Pulsar, but can't seem to get the .sav's to work from PR8.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Hi, what are you having trouble with?
  I had posted a modded script for the original Kazzo software; have to use the original Anago CLI sortware, not INL's GUI. I had to edit the original SNROM script (renamed mmc1_sxrom.ag. lrt me know if you needed it). so the dumped save file would work in Nestopia. The order of the 8K blocks was different then the Nestopia save layout.
  From CMD line:
CD into your \anago\ DIR
then run:
>anago.exe r4 mmc1_sxrom.ag myDumpFile.sav
the output file "myDumpFile.sav" should be created in the anago folder. This should be renamed to "PR8.sav" and moved to Nestopia's Save folder. Then open PR8 and the settings should be there.
To move a save FROM Nestopia:
The CMD line should be
>anago.exe w4 mmc1_sxrom.ag myNewFile.sav
Using your file's name in place of "myNewFile.sav"
  Let me know if this works :-)
Yogi

Yep, your procedure works like a charm for Pulsar, but when I try the same for PR8 it just resets PR8 to having no .sav and I need to soft reset in order for a new .sav to be created, but for some reason trying to get a .sav to be restored is eluding me.  Yes, I have kept the same naming convention as the ROM too.  So I am kinda stumped.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Hummm Just to be clear, sounds like you are having problems switching .sav files in Nestopia?
Last night I was testing Nestopia and moving/renaming .sav files. So I had a BLANKpr8.sav and a TESTpr8.sav in the Save folder. I was alternating renaming these to pr8.sav and re starting the EMU. If I just 'power off' the EMU machine and renamed the 'TEST' to pr8.sav; restarting the machine did not reflect the new .sav and then closing Nestopia would over write the new 'TEST' pr8.sav with the 'BLANK'
  The only sure way was to have another folder to manage BLANK and TEST. Delete or save somewhere any pr8.sav in the Nestopia Save folder. Move one of the .sav files into the Nestopia Save folder, rename to pr8.sav and then start up Nestopia/PR8.
Seems Nestopia only accesses the .sav on open and close and not when starting and stopping the EMU machine.

Not sure if the above is what you are having trouble with, I'll mess with the INL cart today and let you know what I find smile
Yogi

Thank you Yogi,  yes, I was trying to get it to work on the INL cart.  That is where I seem to be having trouble.  Thank you for the help.