Jazzmarazz wrote:

These chips are going to be hard to desolder because of he board thickness. You may as well just cutthe chips off at the board and then remove each pin one by one. Also make sure to install sockets.

This absolutely!

Arizona

Thanks for the input guys. Sadly, this is probably going to have to wait until I finish putting together my NES setup. Right now I think I'm just going to weigh my options...Hopefully the board will take the chips in that Ebay link. When I flipped the computer over, it says it was made in 1987, I don't know if that helps anyone. I haven't opened it up yet, it's currently at my new house and I'm at my old house packing at the moment.

How does one go about getting Cybertracker to run on it? Is it a floppy or a cartridge?

Arizona

I decided I had nothing better to do so I drove over to my new house, got the C64 and just opened it up...

and this...Sorry it's a little blurry...

EDIT: Added a clearer pic of the ICs

Last edited by Limitbreak (Dec 23, 2013 3:18 am)

Arizona

So after pouring over various board scans and forum posts, it seems like these ICs are in fact the ones I need...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KM4164A-15-4164 … 45e97031eb

Sorry if it seems like I'm talking to myself here guys, I'm just wanting a second opinion before I commit to spending money on parts and sending if off to be repaired. I found a Commodore 64 owner that said he can to the repair for me.

nowhere
Limitbreak wrote:

How does one go about getting Cybertracker to run on it? Is it a floppy or a cartridge?

cybertracker was released as a floppy image. you'll need a way to transfer it to a floppy or you can get yourself one of those memory card readers for it instead. CT is an 'ok' program but it's no longer developed. give sid wizard a shot. It's excellent smile http://csdb.dk/release/?id=115599

too bad about the ram problem. hopefully you can get it fixed and there's nothing else on the board that's on its way out.

/adam

Arizona
anthrium wrote:
Limitbreak wrote:

cybertracker was released as a floppy image. you'll need a way to transfer it to a floppy or you can get yourself one of those memory card readers for it instead. CT is an 'ok' program but it's no longer developed. give sid wizard a shot. It's excellent smile http://csdb.dk/release/?id=115599

too bad about the ram problem. hopefully you can get it fixed and there's nothing else on the board that's on its way out.

/adam

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out right now. Can you verify that the chips in the Ebay link are the ones I need to order? I'm admittedly not good with electronics, but I found someone who can do the repair if I bring them the parts.

EDIT: Wow, Sid Wizard looks great! So do these card readers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C64c-Style-SD2I … 4d0c36ccc7

Last edited by Limitbreak (Dec 23, 2013 11:16 pm)

Michigan

Looks like one of the RAM chips has been replaced at one point in time, considering the socket. In any case, the chips in the ebay link are what people suggest, yes.

Rochester, NY

EDIT: ugh.

Last edited by jbuonacc (Dec 26, 2013 11:59 pm)

Arizona

I thought I would bump this thread and show you guys what I picked up last night because all of you have been super helpful thus far.

I met a guy in my town that collects every video game console and computer imaginable. He traded me this working C64 and floppy drive for a spare backlit/prosounded DMG I had. He didn't have any use for the C64 because he didn't have the cables for it...and I do. I should have taken a picture of his closet, it was amazing. He's interested in making chip too so maybe we'll have a new face posting on the forums soon.

Last edited by Limitbreak (Jan 9, 2014 3:58 pm)

Are you still considering fixing up the other one?

Arizona
rygD wrote:

Are you still considering fixing up the other one?

I was wondering that the other day. My options are to either fix it up, keep it for parts or sell it as is...

San Diego
Limitbreak wrote:

I met a guy in my town that collects every video game console and computer imaginable. He traded me this working C64 and floppy drive for a spare backlit/prosounded DMG I had. He didn't have any use for the C64 because he didn't have the cables for it...and I do. I should have taken a picture of his closet, it was amazing. He's interested in making chip too so maybe we'll have a new face posting on the forums soon.

Christ, and here I am just trying to find a PSU for my C64 that isn't $100+ or DOA. I can't even find a C64 here in San Diego that someone isn't trying to sell for "Collectors Value" pricing. (Even though katsumbhong offered me a newer one for a fair price but wasn't the model I was looking for.) If you find someone else that has a working spare C64 and willing to take a trade on it hit me up please! I've got more then enough DMGs and backlit Pockets laying around.

I got my C64C for free off craigslist. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for one.

Arizona
Vile wrote:
Limitbreak wrote:

Christ, and here I am just trying to find a PSU for my C64 that isn't $100+ or DOA. I can't even find a C64 here in San Diego that someone isn't trying to sell for "Collectors Value" pricing. (Even though katsumbhong offered me a newer one for a fair price but wasn't the model I was looking for.) If you find someone else that has a working spare C64 and willing to take a trade on it hit me up please! I've got more then enough DMGs and backlit Pockets laying around.

Yeah man these things are a bit of a pain...I'm trying to figure out how I can get Sid Wizard running on it. I need to put the program on a floppy somehow. I have the 1581 which takes the 3 1/2 sized disks...